16 Day Beijing, Xi’an, Guilin, Chengdu, Zhangjiajie and Shanghai China tour
Join our team for this 16 day Ultimate China Tour including the best things to do in Beijing, Xi’an, Guilin, Chengdu, Zhangjiajie and Shanghai. The Ultimate China Tour features three full days in Beijing, two full days in Xi’an, three full days in Guilin, two full days in Chengdu, three full days in Zhangjiajie and one full day in Shanghai.
This 16 day tour includes the Great Wall, Terracotta Army, Li River, Pandas, Avatar Mountains, the Bund as well as other top attractions in each destination!
- Visit China’s most famous (and one of the world’s largest)public square – Tiananmen Square;
- Go inside the walls and go back in time at Beijing’s Forbidden City;
- Overlook the Forbidden City and Beijing city from the peak of Jingshan Park;
- Cruise the alleyways of Beijing’s famous hutongs in your own private rickshaw;
- Discover the largest Tibetan Temple in Beijing at the Lama Temple;
- Explore Beijing’s most renowned attraction – the incredible Great Wall of China at Mutianyu;
- Travel inside the Beijing Olympic Center and its famous ‘Bird’s Nest Stadium’ among other buildings;
- Discover the summer resort for the Imperial family at the Summer Palace;
- Taste a delicious meal of Beijing’s most famous local dishes – Peking Duck;
- Enjoy a Beijing acrobatics show or a Kung Fu show (Optional);
- Discover one of China’s most famous (and incredible) attraction up close – the Terracotta Army;
- Climb up and explore Xi’an’s longstanding City Wall, which has been protecting the city for over 600 years;
- Visit the symbol of Xi’an located in the very center of the city – it’s famous Bell and Drum Tower;
- Explore the city’s famous Muslim Quarter – located north of the Bell and Drum Tower – offering visitors a different Xi’an experience;
- Look over the views of Guilin city from the peak of Yao Mountain
- Walk through the famous limestone Reed Flute Cave
- See the landmark that represents Guilin – Elephant Trunk Hill
- Embark upon the Two Rivers/Four Lakes Boat Cruise around central Guilin City
- Visit Ping’an Village with its spectacular viewpoints
- Experience the Longji Zhuang Ethnic Minority Village
- Explore the Longji Rice Terraces and the walk through the trails overlooking stunning scenery
- Travel along the Li River on the Deluxe 4 Star Li River Cruise (Upper Deck Reserved Seating)
- See the spectacular views of the Li River from the peak of Xianggong Hill
- Enjoy dinner in one of the many restaurants in and around West Street
- Watch the famous Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show held on the banks of the Li River
- Go face-to-face with baby Pandas at the Chengdu Panda Research Center
- Visit Chengdu’s main local attractions including People’s Park, Wenshu Temple and Jinli Pedestrian Street
- Be amazed by the Leshan Giant Buddha – the oldest Buddha statue in the entire world!
- Visit China’s most famous mountain range at the scenic Zhangjiajie National Park;
- Discover the “Avatar mountains” made internationally famous by the motion picture at Yuanjiajie;
- Overlook the views and different formations at Yangjiajie;
- Enjoy the views and unique scenery from the cliffs of Yellowstone Village;
- Explore the various different paths around the peak of Tianmen Mountain;
- Walk through the enormous arch of Tianmen Mountain at the Tianmen Cave;
- Face your fears and walk across the transparent glass at the Tianmen Mountain Glass Walk;
- Board a cable car up to the peaks of Tianzi Mountain;
- Hike the Golden Whip Stream to experience the nature and local wildlife in Zhangjiajie;
- Go back in time & experience Old Shanghai with visits to Shanghai Old Town and the Yu Garden
- Walk the back streets of Shanghai – learning about Shanghai and its City Wall leftover from the Ming Dynasty
- Explore Colonial Shanghai and it’s incredible architecture whilst walking along the Bund
- Visit the former French Concession Area, Arts District & more!
- Discover the famous Jade Buddha Temple in central Shanghai
All times outlined below are approximates as the tour is a private tour, time is flexible & subject to train/flight schedules
- 8:30 am: Meet at your Beijing Hotel Lobby (within 4th Ring Road)
- 9:00 am – 10:30 am: Visit Tiananmen Square
- 10:30 am – 12:30 pm: Visit the Forbidden City
- 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Enjoy Peking Duck Lunch at nearby Restaurant
- 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Visit Jingshan Park
- 4:30 pm: Return transfer to your Beijing Hotel (within 4th Ring Road)
- 8:00 am: Meet at your Beijing Hotel Lobby (within 4th Ring Road)
- 8:00 am – 10:00 am: Transfer to to Mutianyu Great Wall;
- 10:00 am – 12:30 pm: Explore Great Wall of China;
- 1:00 pm: Lunch at Great Wall (not included in pricing);
- 1:30 pm: Depart Mutianyu Great Wall of China;
- 4:00 pm: Return transfer to Beijing Hotel (within 4th Ring Road)
- 9:00 am: Meet at your Beijing Hotel Lobby (within 4th Ring Road)
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm: Explore Summer Palace;
- 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm: Visit Old Hutongs via Rickshaw;
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Lunch (not included)
- 2:30 pm: Transfer to Temple of Heaven
- 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm: Visit Temple of Heaven
- 5:00 pm: Return transfer to Beijing Hotel (within 4th Ring Road)
Please note, visitors have the option to board a train or take a flight from Beijing to Xi’an (flight/train not included in pricing) and you will be transferred to either Beijing Airport or Beijing Railway Station.
- 8:00 am: Meet at your Beijing Hotel Lobby;
- 9:00 am: Transfer to Beijing West Railway Station/Beijing Airport
- 9:00 am – 6:00 pm: High-Speed/Flight from Beijing to Xi’an
- Meet driver at Xi’an Railway Station/Xi’an Airport Arrivals Gate
- Visit Muslim Quarter in Xi’an
- Transfer to Xi’an Hotel
- 9:00 am (flexible): Meet at your Guilin Hotel Lobby
- 11:00 am: Arrive at Longji Rice Terraces
- 12:30 pm: Visit & Walk-up to Longji Zhuang Village
- 1:00 pm: Traditional Lunch at Longji Zhuang Village
- 2:00 pm: Visit & Walk-up to Ping’an Village
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Afternoon activities at Longji Rice Terraces
- 4:00 pm: Depart Longji Rice Terraces
- 5:00 pm: Return transfer to Guilin Hotel
- 07:40 am: Meet at your Guilin Hotel Lobby
- 09:00 am – 1:00 pm: Transfer to Guilin Pier
- 09:30 am – 1:30 pm: Deluxe 4-Star Li River Cruise
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm: Visit West Street
- 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Yulong Valley Countryside Walking/Cycling Tour
- 4:00 pm: Transfer to Yangshuo Hotel
- 07:30 pm – 9:00 pm: Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show
- 9:30 pm: Return transfer to Yangshuo Hotel
Day 10 – Stay overnight in Chengdu
- 8:00 am: Meet at your Chengdu Hotel Lobby
- 10:00 am: Arrive at Leshan Giant Buddha
- 10:00 am – 11:30 am: Visit Leshan Giant Buddha including boat ride along the river past the Buddha
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Visit the Traditional Workshops & an Old Courtyard House
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm: Visit Tea Plantation & Local Snack Tasting
- 4:30 pm: Return transfer to Chengdu Hotel
Day 11– Stay overnight in Chengdu
- 8:00 am: Meet at your Chengdu Hotel Lobby
- 9:00 am: Arrive at Chengdu Panda Research Center
- 9:30 am – 11:30 am: See Baby Pandas, Adult Pandas & Red Pandas at Chengdu Panda Research Center
- 11:30 am: Return transfer to Chengdu City
- 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm: Explore Chengdu City Attractions including People’s Park, Wenshu Temple & Jinli Pedestrian Street
- 5:00 pm onwards: Return to Chengdu Hotel/Evening at leisure
Day 12 –Stay overnight in Wulingyuan, Zhangjiajie
Day 13 –Stay overnight in Wulingyuan, Zhangjiajie
- 7:30 am: Meet at your Wulingyuan Hotel Lobby
- 8:30 am: Enter Zhangjiajie National Park
- 9:00 am: Cable car up to Tianzi Mountain
- 9:00 am – 11:00 am: Explore Yuanjiajie
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm: Lunch in Zhangjiajie National Park (not included in pricing)
- 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Explore Yangjiajie
- 3:30 pm: Take Bailong Elevator to base of mountain
- 4:00 pm – 4:30 pm: Depart Zhangjiajie National Park
- 4:30/5:00 pm: Return to your Wulingyuan Hotel
Day 14 –Stay overnight in Wulingyuan, Zhangjiajie
- 7:30 am (flexible): Meet at your Wulingyuan Hotel Lobby
- 8:00 am: Enter Zhangjiajie National Park;
- 8:30 am – 10:30 am: Hike Golden Whip Stream in Zhangjiajie National Park;
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm: Lunch in Zhangjiajie National Park (not included in pricing);
- 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Visit Yellowstone Village via One-Way Cable Car;
- 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm: Depart Zhangjiajie National Park;
- 4:00/4:30 pm pm: Return transfer to your Wulingyuan Hotel or Zhangjiajie City Hotel
Day 15 –Stay overnight in Shanghai
- TIME (TBA): Meet at your Wulingyuan Hotel Lobby
- Transfer to Zhangjiajie Airport
- Flight from Zhangjiajie to Shanghai
- Arrive at Shanghai Airport
- Transfer to Shanghai Hotel
Day 16 –Stay overnight in Shanghai/END OF TOUR
- 9:00 am: Meet at your Shanghai Hotel Lobby
- 9:30 am – 11:30 am: Visit City God Temple of Shanghai and Yu Garden
- 11:30 am – 1:00 pm: Visit Shanghai City Wall, Off-the-beaten track streets and the Bund
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm: Lunch at Local Restaurant (not included)
- 2:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Shanghai Afternoon City Tour including Former French Concession Area, Tianzifang Arts Area and the Jade Buddha Temple
- 5:30 pm: Return transfer to your Shanghai Hotel/END OF TOUR
- All petrol/gas, van rental, highway tolls, parking fees & driver’s fees throughout entire tour route as above;
- All entrance tickets per the above activities requiring entrance fees;
- Professional (Fully-licensed) English speaking tour guide on days listed;
- For this private tour, no meals are included within the tour pricing but our guide will assist you with options and recommendations based on your preferences;
- Please note, we don’t require ‘x’ amount to be paid by clients on a daily basis to tour guide/driver or force tipping. However, gratuities are greatly appreciated at the conclusion of tour by guide/driver only if service is excellent.
- Accommodation, flights, travel insurance and any other person expenses during tour;
Pre-Tour – Stay overnight in Beijing
Arrive into Beijing the day before your tour is scheduled to begin as the tour commences in the morning. Alternatively, we can also schedule the tour to being from Beijing Airport or Beijing Railway Station upon your arrival.
Day 1 – Stay overnight in Beijing
Today, our tour guide and driver will meet you at your specific Beijing Hotel Lobby at 8:30 am. Meeting time is flexible as it is a private tour so please discuss beforehand if you have a preferred starting time. You’ll commence the tour by being transferred to Tiananmen Square – Beijing’s enormous public square and the world’s largest open square space.
Around Tiananmen Square there are various sights which we will visit and some nice photo opportunities as well. Some of these sights include the Great Hall of People in the West, which is China’s National Congress Hall (also known as China’s ‘White House’).
After exploring Tiananmen Square, we’ll walk across the road to the Forbidden City – the largest and best preserved Imperial Palace in the world. The Forbidden City houses a large number of buildings with inspiring architecture and incredible history.
Following the Forbidden City visit, we’ll keep walking to Jingshan Park, which is a nearby park providing panoramic views overlooking the Forbidden City. It takes approximately 10 x minutes to walk from the base of the hill to its peak but visitors are rewarded with fantastic scenery of the surroundings and Beijing city.
Day 2 – Stay overnight in Beijing
To begin the second day of the Beijing tour, your tour guide and driver will meet you at your Beijing Hotel at 8:00 am (time is flexible based upon your preferences) for the day tour to the Great Wall. We will travel to the Mutianyu Section of the Great Wall of China, which is located in Huairou County (approximately 1.5 – 2 x hours drive from Beijing).
After arriving at Mutianyu, we till board a chairlift to the top of the Great Wall where spectacular views overlooking the Great Wall and surroundings await you. The time spent at the Great Wall of China is very flexible and today’s activity’s are less so you can choose to spend more or less time exploring the wall, based upon your preferences.
The Mutianyu Great Wall is one of the most famous sections of the Great Wall near Beijing and less visited than the Badaling Great Wall section. Visitors have the option to take the chairlift to the peak and either a toboggan or chairlift back to the base of the wall. Return transfer to your Beijing Hotel after the Great Wall visit.
Day 3 –Stay overnight in Beijing
Begin the morning by meeting your tour guide and driver at your Beijing Hotel Lobby. The tour will begin with a visit to the Summer Palace in Beijing.
The Summer Palace is located approximately 15 km from the city center of Beijing and is adjacent to the Old Summer Palace. Known as the “Royal Garden Museum”, the palace is also the most preserved royal palace in Beijing. Built by the design method of gardens in the south of the Yangtze River, it is a large-scale landscape garden.
Following the visit to the Summer Palace, you’ll be transferred to the Old Hutong Area (Houhai Hutongs). The Hutongs in Beijing have a history of over 700 years and whilst a number of these hutong houses have now been restored, many people still live in these areas. The Hutong visit is undertaken by a licensed rickshaw driver, making this a unique and enjoyable experience which is popular by visitors from all over the world.
Please note, some of the rickshaw drivers speak English but it can be limited – although they do know lots of local history. Overall, you’ll spend 1 x hour in and around the hutongs with time on the rickshaw as well as walking.
Afterwards , we’ll travel to the Temple of Heaven, which was constructed in the 1400s during the Ming Dynasty with multiple renovations of the years throughout the different dynasties. The Temple of Heaven is a major Beijing landmark and enjoyable way to explore throughout the day.
At the conclusion of the visit to the Temple of Heaven, return transfer to your Beijing Hotel to enjoy the rest of the evening at leisure or have the option to further explore Beijing via a selection of evening activities or alternatively, a relaxing evening in Beijing.
Day 4 – Stay overnight in Xi’an
The day is at leisure whereby visitors need to get from Beijing to Xi’an – either via high-speed train (multiple trains departing daily) or via flight (multiple flights departing daily). Wendy Wei Tours can include either flight or train tickets, based upon preferences and we can also include transfers to/from the airport or train station. Please advise during tour booking of your preferences.
Upon arriving into Xi’an, you will have a visit to the Muslim Quarter – a small area of Xi’an particularly renowned for it’s local snacks and souvenirs as well as background. There’s also the option of visiting the Xi’an Grand Mosque or even engaging in a Xi’an Food Tour (additional fees) – please advise beforehand if this is of interest. You’ll be transferred back to your Xi’an Hotel at the conclusion of the afternoon/evening activities.
Day 5 –Stay overnight in Xi’an
To begin the Xi’an part of the tour, our tour guide and driver will meet you at your Xi’an Hotel Lobby. We’d recommend a 8:30 am meeting time but because it’s a private tour, this can be flexible so please advise your preferences. Thereafter, depart for the Terracotta Army, which is located on the outskirts of Xi’an City.
The Terracotta Army Museum, is the Eighth wonder of the world and largest on-site museum in China. It features thousands of Terracotta Warriors and Horses that were made over 2,000 years ago. Visitors are taken aback by the sheer number and size – making this visit a the highlight of many visitors’ trip to China.
Afterwards, you will visit and spend time atop Xi’an’s City Wall. This incredible city wall has protected Xi’an from invaders for over 600 years since it was first constructed. The Xi’an City Wall is the best preserved and most complete wall that has survived throughout China’s long history. It stands 12 meters high and 12 – 14 meters wide across the top with 15 – 18 meters width at the base of the wall.
The entire length of the wall is over 13 kilometers around the city and visitors can choose to cycle, walk or even board a golf cart shuttle to sight-see and experience life along Xi’an’s City Wall. Following the day’s activities, you’ll be transferred to either Xi’an Airport or Xi’an Railway Station to transit to your next destination – Guilin. Upon arrival into Guilin, a driver will meet & greet you with a transfer to your hotel in Guilin to enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 6 – Stay overnight in Guilin City
To commence the Guilin part of the tour, visitors will spend the first day in and around Guilin City, visiting the different highlights within the city and its surroundings. These include the main attractions with a combination of spectacular scenery, mountains, caves and Guilin’s famous landmark!
Start the day off by travelling to Yao Mountain, which offers spectacular views overlooking Guilin City as well as the karst scenery surrounding the city. At Yao Mountain, there is a chairlift for visitors to take to the peak of the mountain with the option of returning to the base via chairlift or toboggan (depending upon availability/weather).
Thereafter, visit the Reed Flute Cave which is a famous limestone cave located on the outskirts of Guilin city. During the late afternoon, travel to Elephant Trunk Hill – the landmark of Guilin, which resembles and Elephant drinking directly out of the Li River!
After Elephant Trunk Hill, explore the local walking streets and finish the evening with a Guilin City Lakes Walking Tour. This walking tour route encompasses the Riyue Shuangta Cultural Park (home to the Sun and Moon Pagodas) as well as Zhengyang Walking Street and other centrally areas. After the walking tour, you’ll return to your Guilin Hotel to enjoy the rest of the evening at leisure.
Day 7 – Stay overnight in Guilin City
Meet your tour guide in the morning and depart to the Longji Rice Terraces, which takes approx. 2 x hours from Guilin or 3.5 x hours from Yangshuo. Upon arrival, you will walk to the Longji Zhuang Ethnic Minority Village, which is a quieter village. During your time at the village, experience firsthand local’s daily lives and see the traditional architecture featured on both the older and newer buildings .
For lunch, our client’s are warmly invited into a local family’s traditional house for a more unique experience. The meal consists of a ‘bamboo chicken’ dish, and a variety of different vegetable and meat dishes. Vegetarian meals can be catered for and all food is cooked in a licensed restaurant to ensure hygiene.
Following lunch, walk from the Longji Zhuang Village to Ping’an Village along a quieter path offering views overlooking the terraces and usually, very few other people! This walk usually takes between 40 x minutes to 1 x hour and is on a winding uphill path, although not very steep.
After arriving at Ping’an Village, walk to the different Rice Terraces scenic lookouts (such as ‘7 Stars with the Moon’ or ‘9 Dragons/5 Tigers’) and further explore the Longji Rice Terraces, depending upon your preferences. The tour will conclude upon returning to Guilin, where you will enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 8 -Stay overnight in Yangshuo
Meet your Wendy Wei Tours private tour guide at 7:40 am sharp in the morning at your Guilin hotel lobby. Please note, because the boat is a large boat shared with other visitors, it’s important to be waiting in the lobby in the morning as the boat doesn’t wait if visitors are late!
After clearing the security check and boarding the Li River Cruise, you’ll be escorted to your Upper Deck reserved seats, which offer excellent views from the second level of the boat. Visitors can also choose to upgrade to VIP seating (which is at the very front of the upper deck seating) for an additional fee. Please note, if you’d like to upgrade, contact us as this needs to be arranged in advance.
During the Li River Cruise, you will see incredible views of karst scenery, rural life and famous mountains throughout this scenic stretch of water. Generally, it takes approximately 4 x hours to travel from the Guilin Pier to Yangshuo but depends upon season/water flow speed.
There is a buffet lunch served on-board during the Li River Cruise and this consists of approximately 8 different Chinese cuisine dishes including both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. If you have any specific cuisine or food restrictions please contact us about specifics so we can arrange accordingly.
Upon arriving into Yangshuo and disembarking from the cruise, explore West Street before traveling to the Yulong River for a countryside walk (or cycle). Visitors can also visit the nearby scenic bridge (Fuli Bridge) and enjoy the afternoon in and around Yangshuo. In the evening, watch the famous Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show held on the banks of the Li River from your VIP B1 Seats.
This show is a grand performance featuring over 700 actors and actresses and was directed by Zhang Yi Mou – the director and choreographer of the opening ceremony at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Following the conclusion of the show, you’ll be transferred back to your Yangshuo Hotel.
Day 9 – Stay overnight in Chengdu
To begin the day, you’ll meet your tour guide and driver at your Yangshuo Hotel lobby and travel to the nearby Yulong River for a drifting experience. The Yulong River is a famous for its picturesque scenery offering a contrast to the towering Karst mountains found along the Li River. You’ll board a bamboo raft and slowly drift downstream whilst admiring the beauty of the river. You’ll also stopover at the spectacular mountain viewpoint – Xianggong Hill – offering panoramic views overlooking
Afterwards, transfer to Guilin Airport for your flight to Chengdu. From Yangshuo to Guilin Airport, it takes approximately 1.5 x hours and the flight duration from Guilin to Chengdu is a similar duration. Flight details and suggestions can be provided. Upon landing into Chengdu, your Chengdu driver will meet you at the domestic arrivals gate and transfer you to your Chengdu hotel.
Day 10 – Stay overnight in Chengdu
For today, you’ll meet your guide and driver at 8:00 am at your Chengdu Hotel Lobby. After meeting, you’ll be transferred to the famous Leshan Giant Buddha (乐山大佛), which is located in the city of Leshan. From Chengdu City to Leshan, it takes approximately 2 x hours to get there, which is why we recommend an earlier start. Within the tour, we propose (and recommend) visitors to see the Leshan Giant Buddha from boat as opposed to walking up.
The reason we propose the visit to the Leshan Giant Buddha via boat is because the pathways walking up to the Buddha can become extremely busy with substantial queues common but we can accommodate if you’d prefer to walk (and you can decide on the day). This attraction is one of Chengdu (and Sichuan Province’s) symbols and is a must-see during your visit to Chengdu.
After spending some time at the Leshan Big Buddha, in the afternoon, we’ll travel from Leshan back to Chengdu and along the way stop off at various attractions. The first destination features local workshops – including a blacksmith, barber and bamboo workshop among others. You’ll also visit a courtyard house and uncover a different type of experience away from tourists.
Visitors will also travel to a local tea farm and tea house where you’ll have the opportunity to pick tea leaves, learn about the different varieties of tea and even sample different tea! Following the day’s activities, you’ll return to your Chengdu Hotel to enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 11 – Stay overnight in Chengdu
In the morning, at 8:00 am, your licensed English speaking tour guide and professional driver will meet you at your Chengdu Hotel Lobby. Thereafter, travel directly to the Chengdu Panda Research Center to begin your day tour of sightseeing and visiting the cute Pandas!
The Chengdu Panda Research Center has become a haven for rescued pandas from the wilderness as well as China’s leading Panda breeding center. Walk the paths within the Panda center in search for an up-close look at these amazing animals. We visit the center in the morning when the Pandas are fed and they’re usually at their most active at this time of the day.
Whilst you’re exploring the Chengdu Panda Research Center, be sure to kindly keep noise to a minimum as sudden, unexpected noise can induce stress on Pandas as well as the other animals in the center.
Enjoy the bamboo forests within the park as well as other ornamental plants that form part of Giant Pandas’ natural habitat. In addition to the animals within the Research center, there are also swans, peacocks, colorful butterflies and a variety of different species of birds that call this home.
For lunch, we’ll take you to a local restaurant in Chengdu to introduce you to Sichuan cuisine! Alternatively, if you’d prefer not to taste this local specialty, other restaurants can be arranged, depending upon your specific requirements/preferences.
Following lunch, we have a special treat for you with a visit to the backstage of the Sichuan Tea Opera House as the performers prepare their make-up for the Opera. You’ll be treated to a performance as well as a meet-and-greet with the actors and actresses. Afterwards, travel to People’s Park in central Chengdu City, which is home to the largest outdoor teahouse in Chengdu. Visitors will experience an introduction to local culture here as well as explore the park, which gives an insight into locals’ daily lives.
There’s even a ‘blind date corner’ where parents discuss among themselves suitable boyfriends or girlfriends for their children!
Within People’s Park, there are spectacular bonsai gardens, a dancing square and a great place to spend the early afternoon. After visiting People’s Park, visit and walk the streetsof Jinli Pedestrian Street. This street is approximately 500 meters long and was originally constructed during the Qing Dynasty. Visitors will enjoy a relaxing afternoon and dinner (not included in pricing) here.
Thereafter, depart from Jinli Pedestrian Street and either return to your hotel in Chengdu to enjoy the evening at leisure or be transferred to the evening’s show – the Sichuan Opera (additional fees apply). The Sichuan Opera is a Chinese type of Opera, which originated in Chengdu in the 1700s. before watching the Sichuan Opera show in the evening. At the conclusion of the Sichuan Opera (it lasts for approximately 1.5 x hours), return transfer to your Chengdu Hotel.
Day 12 – Stay overnight in Wulingyuan Scenic Area
In the morning, meet the driver at your Chengdu Hotel where you will be transferred to Chengdu Airport. The morning is at leisure whereby visitors need to travel from Chengdu to Zhangjiajie via flight (multiple flights departing daily but we recommend the morning flights). Wendy Wei Tours can include flight tickets, based upon preferences and we can also include transfers to/from the airport. Please advise during tour booking of your preferences.
Upon arriving into Zhangjiajie Airport, you will be transferred to one of the main attractions of the Zhangjiajie area – Tianmen Mountain. After entering the park, you’ll board the world’s longest cable car from the base of the mountain to the peak. From there, explore the huge natural arch of Tianmen Cave, a hiking trail (ranging in difficulty) offering different views overlooking the karst landforms and even walk across a transparent glass walkway!
At the end of the day, you’ll be transferred to your hotel in the Wulingyuan Scenic Area (approximately 45 x minutes away from Zhangjiajie) and enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 13 – Stay overnight in Wulingyuan Scenic Area
Following the morning meeting with your tour guide and driver, you’ll be transferred to the Wulingyuan National Park – the highlight of the Zhangjiajie area. Within Zhangjiajie National Park, the only option for visitors is to take the park shuttle buses between the different viewpoints and areas. Therefore, whilst we will provide private transfers to and from your Wulingyuan/Zhangjiajie City hotel and the parks, within the parks, we’re unable to arrange private transfers as outside vehicles are prohibited.
Upon entering Zhangjiajie National Park, you’ll board a shuttle bus and transfer to the Tianzi Mountain Chairlift spot. From there, board a chairlift offering spectacular views whilst you ascend Tianzi Mountain on a chairlift! Alternatively, visitors can also hike up but this takes a long time and we usually recommend the chairlift for the convenience (allowing more time to explore the views on the mountain top!).
Today’s highlights include the scenery at Yunajiajie. The Yuanjiajie Area in Zhangjiajie National Park, is the main background where the movie Avatar was filmed and is a highlight of visitors’s travels to Zhangjiajie. Discover the different scenery and panoramic views from various angles throughout the park. Moreover, you’ll also explore the scenery in and around Tianzi Mountain offering spectacular Sandstone Peak forest views.
In the afternoon, when you’re ready to depart, we’ll board the world’s largest outdoor elevator (the Bailong Elevator) to return to the base of Tianzi Mountain. Upon exiting Zhangjiajie National Park, you’ll be transferred back to your hotel at Wulingyuan to enjoy the afternoon & evening at leisure.
Day 14 – Stay overnight in Wulingyuan or Zhangjiajie CityIn the morning, enter Zhangjiajie National Park and commence a flat walk (approximately 2.5 x hours) through the valley of Golden Whip Stream. This trail features a grounds-eye perspective of the Avatar scenery, wildlife and some beautiful natural views.
During the afternoon, explore Yellowstone Village which provides the largest platform to sightsee with over 100 different scenic spots on offer. Visitors will take the cable car up to Yellowstone Village and either choose to walk downhill or take the cable car back to the base following the visit to Yellowstone Village. At the conclusion of today’s activities, return transfer to your Wulingyuan Hotel or check in to a new hotel in Zhangjiajie City. Evening at leisure..
Day 15 –Stay overnight in Shanghai
The day is at leisure whereby visitors need to get from Zhangjiajie to Shanghai – via flight (multiple flights departing daily). Wendy Wei Tours can include flight tickets, based upon preferences and we can also include transfers to/from the airport or train station. Please advise during tour booking of your preferences.
Day 16 – Stay overnight in Shanghai/END OF TOUR
In the morning, your private guide will meet you at your Shanghai Hotel lobby to begin your tour focusing on the four different kinds of Shanghai. The first stop is in Old Shanghai, where visitors will visit the City God Temple of Shanghai. This temple is a folk temple located in the Old Shanghai section of the city, which was built during the Ming Dynasty.
Thereafter, travel to the Yu Garden, which is a Suzhou style garden built in 1539. We visit the Yu Garden in the morning as it’s usually quieter with less tourists around, ensuring a peaceful experience. In addition to these attractions, you’ll also visit the Old City Wall for a walk, which was first built in the 1600s.
After experiencing Old Shanghai, prior to lunch, you’ll get the opportunity to explore Colonial Shanghai with a Bund Walking Tour. The Bund features colonial buildings and architecture as well as overlooks the Pudong New Area providing an incredible contrast of colonial and new China.
Your guide will discuss how Shanghai developed from a fishing village into one of the world’s great cosmopolitan cities, provide an insight into the impact of the opium war as well as other local stories. Following the visit to colonial Shanghai, you’ll be transferred to a popular local restaurant where lunch awaits!
For lunch, you can choose from a variety of different cuisine options based upon preferences. Our guides are locals in Shanghai and can show you the best Xiaolongbao, dumplings, international cuisine or more! Lunch isn’t included within the tour pricing so please discuss with the guide you preferences and they’re happy to be of assistance.
Following lunch, continue exploring the former French Concession Area via vehicle as well as walking – a throwback to Shanghai in the wild 1930s. You’ll also visit Tianzifang Arts Zone and there’s an option to visit either the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (additional fee), Propaganda Museum (additional fee) or one of Shanghai’s famous temples. The Jade Buddha Temple is the final stop of this Private Shanghai Day Tour. At the conclusion of your Shanghai tour, you’ll be transferred back to your Shanghai Hotel to experience the evening at leisure and conclude the tour. END OF TOUR.