Hong Kong City Escape Tour
9 Day Guilin, Zhangye, Xining and Xi’an China tour
Join our team for this 9 day Hong Kong City Escape Tour including the best things to do in Guilin, Zhangye and Xi’an. The Hong Kong City Escape Tour features three full days in Guilin, two full days in Chengdu, two full days in Xining, two full days in Zhangye and one full day in Xi’an. This 9 day tour includes the Li River, the Rice Terraces, Qinghai Lake, the Rainbow Mountains, Terracotta Army as well as other top attractions in each destination!
- Walk through the famous limestone Reed Flute Cave
- See the landmark that represents Guilin – Elephant Trunk Hill
- Experience the Longji Zhuang Ethnic Minority Village
- Explore the Longji Rice Terraces and the walk through the trails overlooking stunning scenery
- See the spectacular views of the Li River from the peak of Xianggong Hill
- Watch the famous Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show held on the banks of the Li River
- Enjoy dinner in one of the many restaurants in and around West Street
- Board a bamboo raft and drift downstream the peaceful Yulong River
- Learn about Buddhism and Tibetan Culture at the Kumbum Monastery (Tai Er Temple)
- Visit China’s largest lake and most scenic lake at Qinghai Lake on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau
- Taste unique snacks, cuisine and flavors with stops at local Tibetan Yurts along the way
- Discover snow-capped mountains, sandy deserts & spectacular scenery
- Experience Xining’s famous Islamic mosque at the Dongguan Grand Mosque
- Go inside and experience the Horse Hoof Temple (Mati Si) in Zhangye City
- Visit and learn about Buddhism at the Giant Buddha Temple (Dafo Temple) located in Zhangye City
- Hike, discover and oversee the world famous rainbow mountains on the outskirts of Zhangye
- Explore the lesser-known (but equally beautiful) canyon at the Pingshan Grand Canyon near Zhangye
- Explore one of China’s most renowned attractions – the incredible Terracotta Warriors & Terracotta Army
- Discover Xi’an’s famous Muslim Quarter and the Grand Mosque of Xi’an (Optional)
All times outlined below are approximates as the tour is a private tour, time is flexible & subject to train/flight schedules
- 10:00 am (TBA): Meet at your Hong Kong Hotel
- 10:15 am: Transfer to Hong Kong West Kowloon Train Station
- 11:30 am: High-Speed Train from Hong Kong to Guilin (approx.3.5 x hours)
- 3:30 pm: Arrive into Guilin West Train Station
- 4:00 pm: Guilin City Walking Tour + Panoramic View of Elephant Trunk Hill
- 6:00 pm: Return transfer to Guilin Hotel
Day 2 – Stay overnight in Guilin
- 9:00 am (flexible): Meet at your Guilin Hotel Lobby
- 9:30 am – 10:30 am: Visit Reed Flute Cave
- 11:00 am: Arrive at Longji Rice Terraces
- 12:30 pm: Visit & Walk-up to Longji Zhuang Village
- 1:00 pm: Traditional Lunch at Longji Zhuang Village
- 2:00 pm: Visit & Walk-up to Ping’an Village
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Afternoon activities at Longji Rice Terraces
- 4:00 pm: Depart Longji Rice Terraces
- 5:00 pm: Return transfer to Guilin Hotel
- 9:00 am: Meet at your Guilin Hotel Lobby
- 10:30 am: Visit & Walk-up Xianggong Hill
- 12:30 pm: Visit & Cycle around the Yulong Valley
- 2:30 pm: Private Li River Cruise
- 4:00 pm: Check-in to Yangshuo Hotel
- 5:30 pm: Visit West Street
- 07:30 pm – 9:00 pm: Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show
- 9:30 pm: Return transfer to Yangshuo Hotel
- 9:00 am: Meet at your Yangshuo Hotel Lobby
- 09:30 am – 11:00 am: Visit Silver Cave
- 11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Yulong River Scenic Drifting
- 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Transfer to Guilin Airport
- Flight from Guilin to Xining
- Arrive at Xining
- Transfer to Xining Hotel
- 10:00 am (flexible): Meet at your Xining Hotel Lobby
- 10:30 am – 11:30 am: Visit Dongguan Grand Mosque
- 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm (approx): High-Speed Train from Xining to Zhangye
- 2:30 pm (approx): Arrive at Zhangye Railway Station
- 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Transfer to Horse Hoof Temple (approx.1 x hour by car)
- 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm: Visit Horse Hoof Temple
- 5:30 pm: Return transfer to Zhangye Hotel
- 08:30 am: Meet at your Zhangye Hotel Lobby
- 08:30 am – 10:30 am: Transfer to Pingshan Grand Canyon
- 10:30 am – 1:30 pm: Visit the Pingshan Grand Canyon
- 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Transfer to Zhangye Airport
- Flight from Zhangye to Xi’an
- Arrive at Xi’an Airport
- Visit Muslim Quarter (Optional)
- Transfer to Xi’an Hotel
- 8:30 am: Meet at your Xi’an Hotel Lobby
- 9:30 am – 11:30 am: Explore Terracotta Army Museum
- 12:30 pm – 1:00 pm: Cycling at Xi’an City Wall
- 2:30 pm on-wards: Transfer to Xi’an Airport
- Flight (Xi’an to Hong Kong)
- Upon arriving into Hong Kong, no service is provided for transfer from Airport to Hotel – our team can assist with recommendations for this if requested
- END OF TOUR
- All petrol/gas, van rental, highway tolls, parking fees & driver’s fees throughout entire tour route as above;
- All entrance tickets per the above activities requiring entrance fees;
- Professional (Fully-licensed) English speaking tour guide on days listed;
- For this private tour, no meals are included within the tour pricing but our guide will assist you with options and recommendations based on your preferences;
- Please note, we don’t require ‘x’ amount to be paid by clients on a daily basis to tour guide/driver or force tipping. However, gratuities are greatly appreciated at the conclusion of tour by guide/driver only if service is excellent.
- Accommodation, flights, travel insurance and any other person expenses during tour;
Arrive into Hong Kong the day before your tour is scheduled to begin as the tour commences in the morning. Alternatively, we can also schedule the tour to begin from Hong Kong Airport, Hong Kong West Kowloon Railway Station or any other ports of entry upon your arrival.
Day 1 – Stay overnight in Guilin City
To begin the first day of the tour, your tour guide and driver will meet you at your Hong Kong Hotel in the morning (time is flexible based upon train departure information) for the transfer into Mainland China.
From Hong Kong Kowloon West Railway Station, it takes approximately 3.5 x hours to Guilin via the high-speed train. There is a Hong Kong/China Customs in Hong Kong to ensure efficiency and please ensure you have your China visa (if this is required)!
In the afternoon, you’ll arrive into Guilin Railway Station with your tour guide awaiting your arrival at the train exit gates in Guilin. After arriving into Guilin, you’ll either be transferred to your Guilin Hotel or choose to embark on a Guilin City Lakes Walking Tour featuring views overlooking Elephant Trunk Hill and the Riyue Shuangta Cultural Park (Sun and Moon Pagodas).
Both of these attractions are famous landmarks of Guilin and a great introduction to this scenic Southern China city. At the conclusion of the walking tour, you’ll be transferred back to your hotel to enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 2 – Stay overnight in Guilin City
Meet your tour guide in the morning with the first stop being the Reed Flute Cave. The Reed Flute Cave is a famous limestone cave located on the outskirts of Guilin city, on the way to the Rice Terraces. After the cave visit, you’ll then depart to the Longji Rice Terraces, which takes approx. 2 x hours from Guilin or 3.5 x hours from Yangshuo. Upon arrival, you will walk to the Longji Zhuang Ethnic Minority Village, which is a quieter village. During your time at the village, experience firsthand local’s daily lives and see the traditional architecture featured on both the older and newer buildings .
For lunch, our client’s are warmly invited into a local family’s traditional house for a more unique experience. The meal consists of a ‘bamboo chicken’ dish, and a variety of different vegetable and meat dishes. Vegetarian meals can be catered for and all food is cooked in a licensed restaurant to ensure hygiene.
Following lunch, walk from the Longji Zhuang Village to Ping’an Village along a quieter path offering views overlooking the terraces and usually, very few other people! This walk usually takes between 40 x minutes to 1 x hour and is on a winding uphill path, although not very steep.
After arriving at Ping’an Village, walk to the different Rice Terraces scenic lookouts (such as ‘7 Stars with the Moon’ or ‘9 Dragons/5 Tigers’) and further explore the Longji Rice Terraces, depending upon your preferences. The tour will conclude upon returning to Guilin, where you will enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 3 – Stay overnight in Yangshuo
Meet your tour guide in the morning and travel to Yangshuo, which is approximately 1.5 x hours drive south of Guilin. The first stop is a visit to one of the most spectacular views overlooking the Li River – Xianggong Hill. Xianggong Hill overlooks the river and karst scenery with incredible panoramic views. Please note, it takes approximately 10 – 15 x minutes to walk up from the base of Xianggong Hill to the viewpoint (there is hand railing).
During the afternoon, board your own Private Raft and experience a shortened Li River Cruise along what is considered to be the most beautiful section of the Li River. The cruise departs from Xingping Pier and travels up to the Nine Horse Fresco Hill Gorge During your time on the Li River, a Cormorant Fisherman will join you to provide a private demonstration of this traditional Chinese fishing practice.
Following disembarking from the cruise, transfer to West Street for dinner at one of the many different restaurants available (not included in pricing). In the evening, watch the famous Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show held on the banks of the Li River from your VIP B1 Seats.
This show is a grand performance featuring over 700 actors and actresses and was directed by Zhang Yi Mou – the director and choreographer of the opening ceremony at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. At the end of the Impression Show, you’ll be transferred to your Yangshuo Hotel where you will stay overnight.
Day 4 – Stay overnight in Xining
To begin the day, you’ll meet your tour guide and driver at your Yangshuo Hotel lobby and travel to the nearby Silver Cave, which is one of the most spectacular karst caves within the Guilin-Yangshuo area. It’s a larger cave than the Reed Flute Cave but spectacular and offering unique scenery within the halls of the cave.
Thereafter, travel to the nearby Yulong River for a drifting experience. The Yulong River is a famous for its picturesque scenery offering a contrast to the towering Karst mountains found along the Li River. You’ll board a bamboo raft and slowly drift downstream whilst admiring the beauty of the river.
Following the scenic drifting, transfer to Guilin Airport for your flight to Xining. From Yangshuo to Guilin Airport, it takes approximately 1.5 x hours and the flight duration from Guilin to Xining takes approximately 2 x hours. Flight details and suggestions can be provided. Upon landing into Xining, your Xining driver will meet you at the domestic arrivals gate and transfer you to your Xining hotel to relax during the evening.
Day 5 – Stay overnight in Xining
For today’s tour, due to the significant driving required, it’s necessary to start the tour early and we’d recommend meeting the tour guide and driver at 7:00 am. The first stop is the Kumbum Monastery, located in the nearby town of Huangzhong.
The Kumbum Monastery (Tai-Er Temple in Chinese) is the second most important monastery in Tibetan Buddhism and a highlight of the day. Visitors will explore a number of different sections of the monastery and learn some brief insights into Tibetan Buddhism.
Following the visit to the Monastery, we’ll depart and visit some spectacular scenery along the road from the Kumbum Monastery to the edge of Qinghai Lake. Highlights of this journey include snow capped mountains at Laji Mountain and Riyue Mountain, a number of pagodas, stopover at some Tibetan Yurts to taste some local cuisine and learn about the local culture.
In the late afternoon, continue towards the edge of Qinghai Lake, where you will visit China’s largest lake on the Qinghai Plateau. The scenery changes throughout the day ranges from mountains to lakes to deserts, offering a little of everything for visitors. At the conclusion of the day, you’ll be transferred back to your hotel in Xining to enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 6 – Stay overnight in Zhangye
Begin the day by meeting your tour guide and driver at your Xining Hotel before being transferred to the Dongguan Grand Mosque. The Dongguan Grand Mosque is the largest mosque within Qinghai Province whereby approximately one third of the popular are Muslim.
With over 600 years of history and being located in central Xining City, the Dongguan Grand Mosque is a great place to visit to gain a further understanding of Xining as well as see some beautiful architecture.
Following the visit to the Dongguan Grand Mosque, you’ll be transferred to Xining Railway Station to board a high-speed train from Xining to Zhangye. The train takes approximately 2 x hours and travels further North-West along the Ancient Silk Road. Upon arriving into Zhangye, you’ll travel to the Horse Hoof Temple (Mati Temple) located on the outskirts of Zhangye.
The Mati Temple are important Buddhist Grottoes located on the Linsong Mountain Range. Featuring various temples and grottos built into the side of a cliff-face, this attraction is a perfect introduction to Zhangye. After the visit, you’ll return to Zhangye, check-in to your Zhangye Hotel and enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 7 – Stay overnight in Zhangye
After meeting the guide and driver at your Zhangye Hotel lobby, the first attraction to visit is the Giant Buddha Temple in Zhangye. The Giant Buddha Temple, also known as Dafo Temple, is in central Zhangye and is famous for its large reclining Buddha within the temple. It was first constructed in year 1098 and is over 35 meters long, making it a popular attraction for travelers visiting Zhangye.
Following the visit to the Dafo Temple, you’ll also stopover at a local Ethnic Minority Family’s House for a quick visit before having lunch and traveling to the highlight of the region – the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains National Geopark.
During the afternoon, you’ll explore the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains Geopark – home to the world famous rainbow colored mountains. Within the Geopark there are a number of different areas to stop and overlook these incredible formations. Visitors are required to take a public bus within the geopark and timing is flexible at each viewpoint with the final viewpoint being most popular during sunset. There is also an additional area, which is fenced off (it has less visitors) but requires an additional fee to enter for those interested in visiting.
Afterwards, you’ll be transferred back to Zhangye City to your hotel where you will enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 8 – Stay overnight in Xi’an
Meet your tour guide and driver at the Zhangye Hotel Lobby and commence the day. Aside from the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains, a lesser known but almost equally scenic attraction within Zhangye area is the Pingshan Grand Canyon.
Whilst this canyon isn’t as popular as the world famous Grand Canyon in the USA, it’s incredibly beautiful and most visitors are very surprised when visiting. Similar to the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains Geopark, there are public buses transiting visitors throughout the Grand Canyon park to different viewpoints.
Following the morning around the Pingshan Grand Canyon, visitors will be transferred back to Zhangye Airport to board their flight to Xi’an.
From Zhangye, it takes approximately 1.5 x hours to fly to Xi’an and upon landing you’ll be transferred directly to your Xi’an Hotel to relax during the evening. Alternatively, a visit to the Muslim Quarter is also available in the evening, if interested, and if exploring the Muslim Quarter, visitors would be transferred back to their Xi’an Hotel at the end of the evening.
Day 9 – Stay overnight in Hong Kong/Xi’an/END OF TOUR
To begin the Xi’an part of the tour, our tour guide and driver will meet you at your Xi’an Hotel Lobby. We’d recommend a 8:30 am meeting time but because it’s a private tour, this can be flexible so please advise your preferences. Thereafter, depart for the Terracotta Army, which is located on the outskirts of Xi’an City.
The Terracotta Army Museum, is the Eighth wonder of the world and largest on-site museum in China. It features thousands of Terracotta Warriors and Horses that were made over 2,000 years ago. Visitors are taken aback by the sheer number and size – making this visit a the highlight of many visitors’ trip to China. Afterwards, depending upon flgight time, you’ll be transferred to Xi’an Airport for flight back to Hong Kong or return to Xi’an Hotel to conclude the tour. END OF TOUR.