Terracotta Army - the largest Palace Complex during the Tang Dynasty
Last Update: 20th June 2019
What is the Terracotta Army?
As a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, the DaMing Palace and Park was originally built in 634 in Xi’an. The palace was the most gorgeous palace complex in the Tang Dynasty with an area of 3.2 square kilometers. Unfortunately, the palace was destroyed in the war at the end of Tang Dynasty.
Terracotta Army Fast Facts
What to expect at the Terracotta Army
The Terracotta Army offers three pits with a shape of “品” to explore. The earliest found one is called the Pit 1, which is rectangular. The pit is the largest one. There are more than 6,000 terracotta warriors and horses in the pit. At the east end, there are 210 soldiers dressed in coat armors. 68 soldiers stand in every remaining row. 8 war chariots and round 10,000 bronze objects are found in the pit to date. Pit 2 is located 20 meters from Pit 1. With an area of 6,000 square meters, it is the highlight of the Terracotta Army. The pit is composed of 4 units. Visitors can see the soldiers with bows in the Unit 1.
Some of them are standing and the others are kneeling. Unit 2 are made of war chariots. Visitors can view the rectangular created by war chariots, infantry and cavalry. Unit 4 is composed of war chariots, cavalry and soldiers with bows. Covering an area of 520 square meters, Pit Number 3 is the command center.
Best time to visit the Terracotta Army
The best time to visit Terracotta Army is in the morning as it is not hot during its opening hours. The best months to visit are from March to May, and from September to October.
How to get to the Terracotta Army
The Terracotta Army is in Xi’an City. Therefore, there there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to Terracotta Army. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 914 and Bus 916 and Tourist Bus 5 to the Stop of Bingmayong (兵马俑站) from Xi’an Train Station.
Additional Terracotta Army Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:30 - 17:30 (March 16 - November 14); 08:30 - 17:00 (November 15 - March 15)
- As at 20th June 2019, from March 1 to November 31, entrance pricing to Terracotta Army is 150 CNY per person; from December 1 to February 28/29, entrance pricing to Terracotta Army is 120 CNY per person; the elder above 65 years old (65 years old included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please note, the ticket is the pass for Terracotta Army and the Mausoleum of Qin Shi Huang. You can visit the two sites and take the shuttle from Terracotta Army to the mausolem with the ticket.
- Passports are required to show at the ticket office.