2 Day Great Wall of China Tour
Great Wall Hiking over 2 days along China’s most famous landmark!
- Explore and hike along the untouched sections of the Great Wall of China at both the Jiankou & Simatai West sections;
- Enjoy the views of the wall and surrounding scenery from the restored sections of the Great Wall at Mutianyu & Jinshanling;
- Discover life along the Great Wall with local food and accommodation at a farmer’s guesthouse;
- Capture stunning panoramic views with your camera along the Great Wall;
- Taste a hotpot lunch at a local restaurant in Beijing City;
- 8:00 am: Meet at your Beijing Hotel Lobby
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am: Visit Olympic Stadium for a brief walk
- 9:00 am – 11:30 am: Drive to Jiankou Great Wall Section
- 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm: Hike from Jiankou to Mutianyu
- 5:30 pm: Arrive at Gubeikou Village
- 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm: Afternoon at leisure/Explore Gubeikou Village
- 7:00 pm: Dinner at Local Farmer’s Restaurant
- 7:00 am: Meet at your Gubeikou Guesthouse
- 7:20 am: Drive to Jinshanling Section of Great Wall
- 8:00 am – 11:00 am: Hike from Jinshanling to Simatai West
- 11:00 am- 1:30 pm: Return transfer from Jinshanling to Beijing
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm: Taste hot pot (spicy or non-spicy) lunch
- 3:00 pm: Return transfer to your Beijing Hotel/END OF TOUR
- All petrol/gas, van rental, highway tolls, parking fees & driver’s fees throughout entire tour route as above;
- All entrance tickets per the above activities requiring entrance fees;
- 2 x Lunches throughout tour (1 x picnic lunch, 1 x hot pot lunch);
- 1 x Breakfast during tour;
- Twin-Accommodation at Farmer’s Local Guesthouse;
- Professional (Fully-licensed) English speaking tour guide;
- We have proposed a hiking – themed tour and so we haven’t included the chairlift/cable car within the pricing – this is an additional cost if required.
- Please note, we don’t require ‘x’ amount to be paid by clients on a daily basis to tour guide/driver or force tipping. However, gratuities are greatly appreciated at the conclusion of tour by guide/driver only if service is excellent.
- Flights, travel insurance and any other person expenses during tour;
Detailed Tour Itinerary:
Pre-Tour – Stay overnight in Beijing
Arrive into Beijing the day before your tour is scheduled to begin as the tour commences in the morning. Alternatively, we can also schedule the tour to being from Beijing Airport or Beijing Railway Station upon your arrival.
Day 1 – Stay overnight in Gubeikou Village
The tour will commence with an 8:00 am pick-up from your Beijing Hotel. Thereafter, we’ll travel to the Beijing Olympic Stadium and briefly visit whilst also purchasing lunch (takeaway) from Subway for a picnic lunch along the Great Wall later in the day. From the Olympic Stadium to the Jiankou Great Wall section it takes approximately 2.5 x hours to drive and you’ll expect to arrive and commence the hike at 11:00 am.
Upon departing from Jiankou, the first hour of hiking to reach the wall is completely uphill but once you reach the wall, you’ll have the opportunity to hike among the different towers.
This section of the Great Wall of China is usually very quiet so you’ll be rewarded with spectacular views, unrivaled scenery and almost no other people within the vicinity! From the first point, you’ll hike along the Great Wall with the entire day’s hike lasting for approximately 5 x hours with 10 kilometers of hiking from Jiankou to Mutianyu.
Aside from the original and restored sections of the Great Wall of China, visitors should also be prepared to hike among the bush-land, jungle and forest as this really is the Wild Great Wall section. Therefore, we’d visitors wear long pants for the hike to avoid any cuts or grazes from the off-track hiking.
After arriving at Mutianyu Section, you’ll notice a stark contrast with from the departure point with the original, old Great Wall, replaced by the restored section at Mutianyu. In the late afternoon, travel to Gubeikou Village where you’ll enjoy a local meal for dinner and stay overnight in a farmer’s guesthouse. Evening at leisure.
Day 2 – Stay overnight in Beijing/END OF TOUR
This morning, the tour will start at 7:00 am when our guide and driver will meet you at your Gubeikou Village guesthouse. You’ll travel to Jinshanling, enjoy a typical ‘farmers breakfast’ and commence the hike at 8:00 am. By starting early, it’s the perfect time to capture the views and scenery on camera as there are usually no other tourists at the Wall.
Today’s hike lasts for approximately 3 x hours (5 kms) and is from the Jinshanling section to the Simatai West section of the Great Wall of China. This particular hike offers incredible scenery, fantastic hiking and there are a number of different watchtowers along the wall, all varying in size, shape and structure.
You’ll arrive into Simatai West in the early afternoon, descend from the Kylin Tower area and return to Beijing. In Beijing, a hot pot lunch awaits where you can sample spicy (or non-spicy!) food before being transferred back to your Beijing Hotel to conclude the two-day hiking tour. END OF TOUR.