14 Day Guilin, Chengdu, Xining, Zhangye, Xi’an and Beijing China tour
Join our team for this 14 day Amazing China Tour including the best things to do in Guilin, Chengdu, Xining, Zhangye, Xi’an and Beijing. The Amazing China Tour features three full days in Guilin, two full days in Chengdu, two full days in Xining, two full days in Zhangye, one full day in Xi’an and three full days in Beijing. This 14 day tour includes the Li River, the Rice Terraces, Pandas, Qinghai Lake, the Rainbow Mountains, Terracotta Army, Great Wall of China as well as other top attractions in each destination!
- Discover the history and scenic views overlooking Guilin City at Diecai Hill;
- Walk through the famous limestone Reed Flute Cave
- See the landmark that represents Guilin – Elephant Trunk Hill
- Experience the Longji Zhuang Ethnic Minority Village
- Explore the Longji Rice Terraces and the walk through the trails overlooking stunning scenery
- See the spectacular views of the Li River from the peak of Xianggong Hill
- Cycle through and experience the beautiful Yulong Valley Scenic Area
- Enjoy dinner in one of the many restaurants in and around West Street
- Watch the famous Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show held on the banks of the Li River
- Board a bamboo raft and drift downstream the peaceful Yulong River
- Be amazed by the Leshan Giant Buddha – the oldest Buddha statue in the entire world!
- Go face-to-face with baby Pandas at the Chengdu Panda Research Center
- Discover a traditional workshop and an ancient courtyard house in Chengdu
- Visit a tea plantation and sip delicious local tea
- Taste Sichuan cuisine and snacks on a Chengdu Food Tour
- Learn about Buddhism and Tibetan Culture at the Kumbum Monastery (Tai Er Temple)
- Visit China’s largest lake and most scenic lake at Qinghai Lake on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau
- Taste unique snacks, cuisine and flavors with stops at local Tibetan Yurts along the way
- Discover snow-capped mountains, sandy deserts & spectacular scenery
- Experience Xining’s famous Islamic mosque at the Dongguan Grand Mosque
- Go inside and experience the Horse Hoof Temple (Mati Si) in Zhangye City
- Visit and learn about Buddhism at the Giant Buddha Temple (Dafo Temple) located in Zhangye City
- Hike, discover and oversee the world famous rainbow mountains on the outskirts of Zhangye
- Explore the lesser-known (but equally beautiful) canyon at the Pingshan Grand Canyon near Zhangye
- Explore one of China’s most renowned attractions – the incredible Terracotta Warriors & Terracotta Army
- Discover Xi’an’s famous Muslim Quarter and the Grand Mosque of Xi’an
- Explore Beijing’s most renowned attraction – the incredible Great Wall of China at Mutianyu;
- Visit China’s most famous (and one of the world’s largest)public square – Tiananmen Square;
- Go inside the walls and go back in time at Beijing’s Forbidden City;
- Overlook the Forbidden City and Beijing city from the peak of Jingshan Park;
All times outlined below are approximates as the tour is a private tour, time is flexible & subject to change
- 10:00 am (TBA): Meet at your Hong Kong Hotel
- 10:15 am: Transfer to Hong Kong West Kowloon Train Station
- 11:30 am: High-Speed Train from Hong Kong to Guilin (approx.3.5 x hours)
- 3:30 pm: Arrive into Guilin West Train Station
- 4:00 pm: Visit & Walk-up Diecai Hill
- 5:00 pm: Guilin City Walking Tour + Panoramic View of Elephant Trunk Hill
- 6:30 pm: Return transfer to Guilin Hotel
- 9:00 am (flexible): Meet at your Guilin Hotel Lobby
- 9:30 am – 10:30 am: Visit Reed Flute Cave
- 11:00 am: Arrive at Longji Rice Terraces
- 12:30 pm: Visit & Walk-up to Longji Zhuang Village
- 1:00 pm: Traditional Lunch at Longji Zhuang Village
- 2:00 pm: Visit & Walk-up to Ping’an Village
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Afternoon activities at Longji Rice Terraces
- 4:00 pm: Depart Longji Rice Terraces
- 5:00 pm: Return transfer to Guilin Hotel
- 9:00 am: Meet at your Guilin Hotel Lobby
- 10:30 am: Visit & Walk-up Xianggong Hill
- 12:30 pm: Visit & Cycle around the Yulong Valley
- 2:30 pm: Private Li River Cruise
- 4:00 pm: Check-in to Yangshuo Hotel
- 5:30 pm: Visit West Street
- 07:30 pm – 9:00 pm: Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show
- 9:30 pm: Return transfer to Yangshuo Hotel
- 9:00 am: Meet at your Yangshuo Hotel Lobby
- 9:30 am – 10:30 am: Yulong River Scenic Drifting
- 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Transfer to Guilin Airport
- Flight from Guilin to Chengdu
- Arrive at Chengdu Airport
- Transfer to Chengdu Hotel
- Chengdu Food Tour
- Return transfer to Chengdu Hotel
- 8:00 am: Meet at your Chengdu Hotel Lobby
- 10:00 am: Arrive at Leshan Giant Buddha
- 10:00 am – 11:30 am: Visit Leshan Giant Buddha including boat ride along the river past the Buddha
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Visit the Traditional Workshops & an Old Courtyard House
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm: Visit Tea Plantation & Tea Tasting
- 4:30 pm: Return transfer to Chengdu Hotel
- 8:00 am: Meet at your Chengdu Hotel Lobby
- 9:00 am: Arrive at Chengdu Panda Research Center
- 9:30 am – 11:30 am: See Baby Pandas, Adult Pandas & Red Pandas at Chengdu Panda Research Center
- 11:30 am: Transfer to Chengdu City
- Flight from Chengdu to Xining
- Arrive at Xining Airport
- Transfer to Xining Hotel
- 10:00 am (flexible): Meet at your Xining Hotel Lobby
- 10:30 am – 11:30 am: Visit Dongguan Grand Mosque
- 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm (approx): High-Speed Train from Xining to Zhangye
- 2:30 pm (approx): Arrive at Zhangye Railway Station
- 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Transfer to Horse Hoof Temple (approx.1 x hour by car)
- 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm: Visit Horse Hoof Temple
- 5:30 pm: Return transfer to Zhangye Hotel
- 08:30 am: Meet at your Zhangye Hotel Lobby
- 08:30 am – 10:30 am: Transfer to Pingshan Grand Canyon
- 10:30 am – 1:30 pm: Visit the Pingshan Grand Canyon
- 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Transfer to Zhangye Airport
- Flight from Zhangye to Xi’an
- Arrive at Xi’an Airport
- Transfer to Xi’an Hotel
- 8:30 am: Meet at your Xi’an Hotel Lobby
- 9:30 am – 11:30 am: Explore Terracotta Army Museum
- 12:30 pm – 1:00 pm: Cycling at Xi’an City Wall
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm: Visit the Muslim Quarter
- 2:30 pm on-wards: Transfer to Xi’an Airport or Railway Station
- Flight or Train (Xi’an to Beijing)
- Arrive at Beijing Airport/Beijing Railway Station
- Transfer to Beijing Hotel
- 8:00 am: Meet at your Beijing Hotel Lobby (within 4th Ring Road)
- 8:00 am – 10:00 am: Transfer to to Mutianyu Great Wall;
- 10:00 am – 12:30 pm: Explore Great Wall of China;
- 1:00 pm: Lunch at Great Wall (not included in pricing);
- 1:30 pm: Depart Mutianyu Great Wall of China;
- 4:00 pm: Return transfer to Beijing Hotel (within 4th Ring Road)
- 8:30 am: Meet at your Beijing Hotel Lobby (within 4th Ring Road)
- 9:00 am – 10:00 am: Visit Tiananmen Square
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm: Visit the Forbidden City
- 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm: Visit Jingshan Park
- 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm: Visit Old Hutongs via Rickshaw
- 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm: Enjoy Peking Duck Lunch at nearby Restaurant
- 4:30 pm: Return transfer to your Beijing Hotel (within 4th Ring Road)
- TIME (TBA): Meet at your Beijing Hotel Lobby (within 4th Ring Road)
- Transfer to Beijing Airport/Beijing Railway Station
- END OF TOUR
- All petrol/gas, van rental, highway tolls, parking fees & driver’s fees throughout entire tour route as above;
- All entrance tickets per the above activities requiring entrance fees;
- Professional (Fully-licensed) English speaking tour guide on days listed;
- For this private tour, no meals are included within the tour pricing but our guide will assist you with options and recommendations based on your preferences;
- Please note, we don’t require ‘x’ amount to be paid by clients on a daily basis to tour guide/driver or force tipping. However, gratuities are greatly appreciated at the conclusion of tour by guide/driver only if service is excellent.
- Accommodation, flights, travel insurance and any other person expenses during tour;
Detailed Tour Itinerary:
Pre-Tour – Stay overnight in Hong Kong (or Guilin!)
Arrive into Hong Kong the day before your tour is scheduled to begin as the tour commences in the morning. Alternatively, we can also schedule the tour to begin from Hong Kong Airport, Hong Kong West Kowloon Railway Station or any other ports of entry upon your arrival.
Day 1 – Stay overnight in Guilin City
To begin the first day of the tour, your tour guide and driver will meet you at your Hong Kong Hotel in the morning (time is flexible based upon train departure information) for the transfer into Mainland China. From Hong Kong Kowloon West Railway Station, it takes approximately 3.5 x hours to Guilin via the high-speed train. There is a Hong Kong/China Customs in Hong Kong to ensure efficiency and please ensure you have your China visa (if this is required)!
In the afternoon, you’ll arrive into Guilin Railway Station with your tour guide awaiting your arrival at the train exit gates in Guilin. After arriving into Guilin, you’ll visit the first attraction of your tour with a stopover at Diecai Hill in the city center. Diecai Hill, also known as Folded Brocade Hill was named after its rock formations and is home to somes incredible stone carvings as well as beautiful views overlooking the city of Guilin. Please note, it does require a walk up to the top of the hill (at your own pace) but the views are worth the time spent walking up!
Following the visit to Diecai Hill, embark on a Guilin City Lakes Walking Tour featuring views overlooking Elephant Trunk Hill and the Riyue Shuangta Cultural Park (Sun and Moon Pagodas). The remainder of the evening is at leisure.
Day 2 – Stay overnight in Guilin City
Meet your tour guide in the morning with the first stop being the Reed Flute Cave. The Reed Flute Cave is a famous limestone cave located on the outskirts of Guilin city, on the way to the Rice Terraces. After the cave visit, you’ll then depart to the Longji Rice Terraces, which takes approx. 2 x hours from Guilin or 3.5 x hours from Yangshuo. Upon arrival, you will walk to the Longji Zhuang Ethnic Minority Village, which is a quieter village. During your time at the village, experience firsthand local’s daily lives and see the traditional architecture featured on both the older and newer buildings .
For lunch, our client’s are warmly invited into a local family’s traditional house for a more unique experience. The meal consists of a ‘bamboo chicken’ dish, and a variety of different vegetable and meat dishes. Vegetarian meals can be catered for and all food is cooked in a licensed restaurant to ensure hygiene.
Following lunch, walk from the Longji Zhuang Village to Ping’an Village along a quieter path offering views overlooking the terraces and usually, very few other people! This walk usually takes between 40 x minutes to 1 x hour and is on a winding uphill path, although not very steep.
After arriving at Ping’an Village, walk to the different Rice Terraces scenic lookouts (such as ‘7 Stars with the Moon’ or ‘9 Dragons/5 Tigers’) and further explore the Longji Rice Terraces, depending upon your preferences. The tour will conclude upon returning to Guilin, where you will enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 3 – Stay overnight in Yangshuo
In the morning, your tour guide and driver will meet you at your Guilin Hotel Lobby to commence the day’s activities, focusing on the scenic mountains and charming beauty of Yangshuo. The entire Yangshuo area is located approximately 1.5 x hours south of Guilin and the first stop along the way is a visit to Xianggong Hill.
Xianggong Hill is a mountain located in the Putao area between Guilin and Yangshuo, offering incredible views overlooking the Li River, karst mountains and surrounding scenery. From the base of Xianggong Hill to the viewpoint it takes approximately 10 – 15 x minutes to walk (depending upon pace) and it is an uphill walk (with hand railing available) so please take this into consideration.
Following the visit to Xianggong Hill, you’ll continue traveling to the Yulong River for a countryside walk (or cycle). Please discuss with your tour guide on the day based upon your preferences and either option can be accommodated. Visitors can also visit the nearby scenic bridge (Fuli Bridge) and enjoy the afternoon in and around Yangshuo. In the evening, watch the famous Impression 3rd Sister Liu Show held on the banks of the Li River from your VIP B1 Seats.
This show is a grand performance featuring over 700 actors and actresses and was directed by Zhang Yi Mou – the director and choreographer of the opening ceremony at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. The tour will conclude upon returning to your hotel in Yangshuo to enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 4 – Stay overnight in Chengdu
To begin the day, you’ll meet your tour guide and driver at your Yangshuo Hotel lobby and travel to the nearby Yulong River for a drifting experience. The Yulong River is a famous for its picturesque scenery offering a contrast to the towering Karst mountains found along the Li River. You’ll board a bamboo raft and slowly drift downstream whilst admiring the beauty of the river.
Afterwards, transfer to Guilin Airport for your flight to Chengdu. From Yangshuo to Guilin Airport, it takes approximately 1.5 x hours and the flight duration from Guilin to Chengdu is a similar duration. Flight details and suggestions can be provided. Upon landing into Chengdu, your Chengdu driver will meet you at the domestic arrivals gate and transfer you to your Chengdu hotel. During the evening, you’ll be introduced to some local foods during a Chengdu Food Tour before being transferred back to your hotel at the end of the food tour.
Day 5 – Stay overnight in Kaili
Today, after departing from Rongjiang, you will travel from Rongjiang to Kaili along the S308 road which connects Rongjiang to Kaili through the mountainous village route. Along this road, you will pass through a large number of different ethnic minority villages, markets and other experiences of daily life in rural South-Western Guizhou Province. If you’re lucky, you might experience a festival, market day or other local experience!
There are a number of Miao ethnic minority villages, (occasionally) festivals and other experiences along this road so you’re welcome to stopover at different markets, towns, villages, festivals (date dependent) and other places along the way. Stay overnight in Kaili and enjoy the night at leisure.
After spending some time at the Leshan Big Buddha, in the afternoon, we’ll travel from Leshan back to Chengdu and along the way stop off at various attractions. The first destination features local workshops – including a blacksmith, barber and bamboo workshop among others. You’ll also visit a courtyard house and uncover a different type of experience away from tourists.
Visitors will also travel to a local tea farm and tea house where you’ll have the opportunity to pick tea leaves, learn about the different varieties of tea and even sample different tea! Following the day’s activities, you’ll return to your Chengdu Hotel to enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 6 – Stay overnight in Xining
In the morning, your licensed English-speaking tour guide and professional driver will meet you at your Chengdu Hotel Lobby. Thereafter, travel for approximately 1 x hour to the Chengdu Panda Research Base. The morning is the best time to visit the Pandas when they’re at their most active!
Upon arriving at the base, visitors will have the opportunity to see pandas of all different ages. Moreover, the keepers feed them in the morning, allowing visitors the best time to see these magnificent animals in real-life!
If you’re lucky, you’ll have the chance to see babies from as young as 1 month old to 3 years old, adult pandas as well as the red pandas. Within the Chengdu Panda Research Base , there’s also a scenic bamboo garden as well as Swan Lake, which are nice stopovers.
You’ll depart from the Panda Base at approximately midday and be transferred to Chengdu Airport for your flight to Xining (flight isn’t included but we will make recommendations based upon timing). Upon arriving into Xining Airport, your Xining driver will be waiting at the arrivals gate and transfer you to your hotel in Xining to enjoy the evening at leisure.
The Kumbum Monastery (Tai-Er Temple in Chinese) is the second most important monastery in Tibetan Buddhism and a highlight of the day. Visitors will explore a number of different sections of the monastery and learn some brief insights into Tibetan Buddhism.
In the late afternoon, continue towards the edge of Qinghai Lake, where you will visit China’s largest lake on the Qinghai Plateau. The scenery changes throughout the day ranges from mountains to lakes to deserts, offering a little of everything for visitors. At the conclusion of the day, you’ll be transferred back to your hotel in Xining to enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 8 – Stay overnight in Zhangye
Begin the day by meeting your tour guide and driver at your Xining Hotel before being transferred to the Dongguan Grand Mosque. The Dongguan Grand Mosque is the largest mosque within Qinghai Province whereby approximately one third of the popular are Muslim.
With over 600 years of history and being located in central Xining City, the Dongguan Grand Mosque is a great place to visit to gain a further understanding of Xining as well as see some beautiful architecture.
Following the visit to the Dongguan Grand Mosque, you’ll be transferred to Xining Railway Station to board a high-speed train from Xining to Zhangye. The train takes approximately 2 x hours and travels further North-West along the Ancient Silk Road. Upon arriving into Zhangye, you’ll travel to the Horse Hoof Temple (Mati Temple) located on the outskirts of Zhangye.
The Mati Temple are important Buddhist Grottoes located on the Linsong Mountain Range. Featuring various temples and grottos built into the side of a cliff-face, this attraction is a perfect introduction to Zhangye. After the visit, you’ll return to Zhangye, check-in to your Zhangye Hotel and enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 9 – Stay overnight in Zhangye
After meeting the guide and driver at your Zhangye Hotel lobby, the first attraction to visit is the Giant Buddha Temple in Zhangye. The Giant Buddha Temple, also known as Dafo Temple, is in central Zhangye and is famous for its large reclining Buddha within the temple. It was first constructed in year 1098 and is over 35 meters long, making it a popular attraction for travelers visiting Zhangye.
Following the visit to the Dafo Temple, you’ll also stopover at a local Ethnic Minority Family’s House for a quick visit before having lunch and traveling to the highlight of the region – the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains National Geopark.
During the afternoon, you’ll explore the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains Geopark – home to the world famous rainbow colored mountains. Within the Geopark there are a number of different areas to stop and overlook these incredible formations. Visitors are required to take a public bus within the geopark and timing is flexible at each viewpoint with the final viewpoint being most popular during sunset. There is also an additional area, which is fenced off (it has less visitors) but requires an additional fee to enter for those interested in visiting.
Afterwards, you’ll be transferred back to Zhangye City to your hotel where you will enjoy the remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 10 – Stay overnight in Xi’an
Meet your tour guide and driver at the Zhangye Hotel Lobby and commence the day. Aside from the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains, a lesser known but almost equally scenic attraction within Zhangye area is the Pingshan Grand Canyon. Whilst this canyon isn’t as popular as the world famous Grand Canyon in the USA, it’s incredibly beautiful and most visitors are very surprised when visiting. Similar to the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains Geopark, there are public buses transiting visitors throughout the Grand Canyon park to different viewpoints.
Following the morning around the Pingshan Grand Canyon, visitors will be transferred back to Zhangye Airport to board their flight to Xi’an. From Zhangye, it takes approximately 1.5 x hours to fly to Xi’an and upon landing you’ll be transferred directly to your Xi’an Hotel to relax during the evening.
Day 11 – Stay overnight in Beijing
To begin the Xi’an part of the tour, our tour guide and driver will meet you at your Xi’an Hotel Lobby. We’d recommend a 9:00 am meeting time but because it’s a private tour, this can be flexible so please advise your preferences. Thereafter, depart for the Terracotta Army, which is located on the outskirts of Xi’an City.
The Terracotta Army Museum, is the Eighth wonder of the world and largest on-site museum in China. It features thousands of Terracotta Warriors and Horses that were made over 2,000 years ago. Visitors are taken aback by the sheer number and size – making this visit a the highlight of many visitors’ trip to China.
Following lunch, you will visit and spend time atop Xi’an’s City Wall. This incredible city wall has protected Xi’an from invaders for over 600 years since it was first constructed. The Xi’an City Wall is the best preserved and most complete wall that has survived throughout China’s long history. It stands 12 meters high and 12 – 14 meters wide across the top with 15 – 18 meters width at the base of the wall.
After the visit to the Xi’an City Wall, visitors will continue exploring Xi’an with a visit to the Muslim Quarter – a small area of Xi’an particularly renowned for it’s local snacks and souvenirs as well as background. At the conclusion of the Muslim Quarter visit, visitors will then be transferred to Xi’an Airport (or Xi’an Railway Station) to board a connecting flight/train to Beijing. Upon arrival into Beijing, transfer to Beijing Hotel and relax during the evening.
Day 12 – Stay overnight in Beijing
To begin the first day of the Beijing tour, your tour guide and driver will meet you at your Beijing Hotel at 8:00 am (time is flexible based upon your preferences) for the day tour to the Great Wall. We will travel to the Mutianyu Section of the Great Wall of China, which is located in Huairou County (approximately 1.5 – 2 x hours drive from Beijing).
After arriving at Mutianyu, we till board a chairlift to the top of the Great Wall where spectacular views overlooking the Great Wall and surroundings await you. The time spent at the Great Wall of China is very flexible and today’s activity’s are less so you can choose to spend more or less time exploring the wall, based upon your preferences.
The Mutianyu Great Wall is one of the most famous sections of the Great Wall near Beijing and less visited than the Badaling Great Wall section. Visitors have the option to take the chairlift to the peak and either a toboggan or chairlift back to the base of the wall. Return transfer to your Beijing Hotel after the Great Wall visit.
Day 13 – Stay overnight in Beijing
Today, our tour guide and driver will meet you at your specific Beijing Hotel Lobby at 8:30 am. Meeting time is flexible as it is a private tour so please discuss beforehand if you have a preferred starting time. You’ll commence the tour by being transferred to Tiananmen Square – Beijing’s enormous public square and the world’s largest open square space.
Around Tiananmen Square there are various sights which we will visit and some nice photo opportunities as well. Some of these sights include the Great Hall of People in the West, which is China’s National Congress Hall (also known as China’s ‘White House’).
Following the Forbidden City visit, we’ll keep walking to Jingshan Park, which is a nearby park providing panoramic views overlooking the Forbidden City. It takes approximately 10 x minutes to walk from the base of the hill to its peak but visitors are rewarded with fantastic scenery of the surroundings and Beijing city.
Today, we will transfer you to Beijing Airport to meet your departure flight and conclude the tour. END OF TOUR