Golden Whip Stream - the most stunning hiking path in Wulingyuan!
Last Update: 10th November 2019
What is Golden Whip Stream?
Located in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, Golden Whip Stream flows from the west to the east. It is 5.7 kilometers long. The scenery along the stream is the most amazing in Wulingyuan Scenic Area. It was named after the Golden Whip Rock standing by the stream.
Golden Whip Stream Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Golden Whip Stream during a Tour in Zhangjiajie?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Golden Whip Stream, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at Golden Whip Stream
After entering the National Forest Park Ticket Station, visitors walk ahead for 300 meters. They will see the entrance to Golden Whip Stream. The natural Golden Whip Stream runs through the peaks and the valley. Rare trees and wild flowers grow along the stream, including Chinese dove trees, dawn redwood, Aidia canthioides, Syzygium buxifolium and the like.
The main peaks or rocks in different appearances along Golden Whip Stream include: Guimen Rock, Mother and Kid Peak, Guanyin Songzi Peak, Pig Eight-backed Marriage, Journey to the West Peaks, Drunken Luohan Rock, Eagles Guard the Whip Rock, Gold Whip Rock, Candle Peak, Wenxing Rock, Thousands-miles Meeting Rock, Camel Peak, etc.. The Golden Whip Rock is more than 380 meters tall. Towering into the sky, the downpart of the rock is larger then the upper part.
Best time to visit Golden Whip Stream
The best time to visit Golden Whip Stream is from April to October as it is not too hot or too cold during this period of time. April and October is the two best months to visit the stream.
How to get to the Golden Whip Stream
Golden Whip Stream is in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park which is part of Wulingyuan Scenic Area. After entering the National Forest Park Ticket Station, visitors walk ahead for 300 meters. They will see the entrance to Golden Whip Stream. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a car from Zhangjiajie airport, Zhangjiajie Train Station or Zhangjiajie Bus Station to the National Forest Ticket Station. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a flight to Zhangjiajie airport from Guilin, Beijing, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xi’an and other cities. Then, rent a car to Zhangjiejie Train Station to take the shuttle bus. It takes 40 minutes drive from the station to National Forest Park Ticket Station. Alternatively, rent a car to the ticket station.
- Take a train to Zhangjiajie train station from Guangzhou, Nanning, Shenzhen, Wuchang and other cities. Then, walk to the Zhangjiajie Bus Station to take the tourists bus. It takes 40 minutes drive from the station to National Forest Park Ticket Station. Alternatively, rent a car to the ticket station.
Additional Golden Whip Stream Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:00 - 18:00
- As Golden Whip Stream is located in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park which is part of Wulingyuan Scenic Area, visitors can enter the the park from National Forest Park Ticket Station with the pass ticket for Wulingyuan Scenic Area. The pass ticket is valid in four days from the date when you get it ( For example, if the ticket is issued at 13:00 on Monday 9th July, 2018, the ticket is valid by 13:00 on Friday 13th July, 2018). You could take a complimentary eco-friendly car with the pass ticket. With the pass ticket, you can visit all the four scenic areas mentioned above and can enter the Wulingyuan from one of five entrances at the five ticket stations.
- After entering the ticket station, walk forward for 300 meters. You will see the entrance to Golden Whip Stream.
- As at 10th November 2019, admission fee which is applied between March 1st and November 30th plus the Spring Festival is as follows. Admission fee to Wulingyuan Area is 248 CNY per adult (including the insurance); Children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) and the elders above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge whilst these people are charged 68 CNY per person for the eco-friendly car(including insurance); Children between 1.3m (1.3m included) and 1.5m (1.5m not included) are charged 163 CNY per person(including insurance); The elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old ( 70 years old not included) are charged 168 CNY per person (including insurance)
- As at 10th November 2019, admission fee which is applied between December 1st and February 28th/29th is as follows. Admission fee to Wulingyuan Area is 126 CNY per adult (including the insurance). Notes: The area can be closed because of the snow in winter.
- Please remember not to take any food in your hand in case that you are hurt by the wild monkeys on the path. If they are interested in your food, they will catch it from your hand.
- It is recommended that you take an umbrella with you when visiting the Wulingyuan Scenic Area in Zhangjiajie.
- If you plan to visit the area in summer, you’d better take the sunscreen, floral water, sunglasses, band-aid and hats. Please remember to wear antiskid hiking shoes.
- During the National Day Festival of China, Spring Festival and the summer holiday, pricing for hotels and restaurants also goes up.
- You could bargain for what you want to buy in Zhangjiajie if you can speak Chinese well.
- The ticket offices of most scenic spots offer luggage storage service.
- Be sure not to explore the areas marked with "No Passing" and "Dangerous" .
- The mountain road is wet and slippery in rainy days. In addition, rain and fog can also lead to unclear sight. Thus, it is not suggested that you risk climbing the mountain in the rain.