Xi'an Bell Tower - the oldest, largest and most complete bell tower in China
What is the Xi'an Bell Tower?
Originally built in 1384, the Xi’an Bell Tower is situated in the heart of Xi’an. It is one of the landmarks of the ancient city. Built on a square base built with blue brick and white ash, the bell tower is a brick and wood structure.
Xi'an Bell Tower Fast Facts
What to expect at the Xi'an Bell Tower
The Xi’an Bell Tower is typical of the Ming Dynasty architectural style. The lower part is a square base with a masonry structure. The top is a four-sided structure covered with dark green glazed tiles. The tip of the top is plated with real gold platinum. The slightly sturdy eaves are covered with dark green glazed tiles, and the interior is decorated with gold paintings and painted beams.
The big bell is hanged in the northwest corner outside of the tower is no longer functioning in timing, but it will still be ringing on the holidays and praying for peace. The carved inscriptions are in the west wall on the first floor. The door and window carvings of the Bell Tower are exquisite and complex, showing the decorative art which prevailed in the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644). There are 8 reliefs on each door leaf on each floor, and each relief reflects an ancient allusion.
Visitors can also enjoy the chime-bells and drums ancient musical performance. Visitors can admire the old furniture made in the Ming (1368 - 1644) and Qing (1644 - 1912) Dynasties in the tower.
Best time to visit the Xi'an Bell Tower
The best time to visit the Xi’an Bell Tower is in the morning as it is not hot during its opening hours. The best months to visit are from March to May, and from September to October.
How to get to the Xi'an Bell Tower
The Xi’an Bell Tower is situated in downtown Xi’an. Therefore, there are some options.
- Rent a vehicle to the Xi’an Bell Tower. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12,15, 16, 26, 29, 35, 36, 37,43, 45, 46, 47, 201, 203, 208, 218, 235, 229, 300, 600, 606 603, 608, 609, 604, 611, 622, 616 and Tourist Bus 7 and 8 to the Stop of Bell Tower (钟楼).
- Take Metro Line 2 to the Stop of the Xi’an Bell Tower.
Additional Xi'an Bell Tower Travel Advice
- Opening hours: October 26 - March 25: 08:30 - 18:00 (the tickets are not issued at 17:30); March 26 - October 25: 08:30 - 21:00 (the tickets are not issued at 20:30)
- As at 18th July 2018, entrance pricing for the Xi’an Bell Tower is 35 CNY per person; Children under 1.2m (1.2m not included) and the elder above 65 years old (65 years old not included) are free of charge. The pass ticket for the Xi’an Bell Tower and Drum Tower is 50 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- As at 18th July 2018, the time for the chime-bells ancient musical performance is 09:30, 10:15, 11:00, 11:45, 14:00, 14:45, 15:30, 16:20.
- If you want to hail a taxi to the tower, some driver may refuse to take you there especially on holidays. Because the Xi’an Bell Tower is located in the heart of Xi’an, the traffic there is always busy.
- The Xi’an Bell Tower offers rental service for audio guide which offers English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean interpretation.