What is Fenghuang?
Originally built in 1704 and located approximately 180 kilometers east of Fanjing Mountain, Fenghuang Ancient Town was called “the most beautiful town in China” by Rewi Alley (a famous New Zealander who was involved in the establishment of modern China). The scenery in Fenghuang combines the old town along the river, natural landscape and local culture.
- Chinese Name: Fenghuang Gucheng (凤凰古城)
- Area: 10 square kilometres
- Things to do there: Photography, Old Buildings and Culture Explore, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Hikers, Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 Days
With a history of more than 300 years and wooden buildings with high feet along the Tuo River, Fenghuang Old Town, the home to 28 ethnic minorities, including Miao and Tujia people, is situated 27 kilometers from Tongren Fenghuang Airport and 280 kilometers from Zhangjiajie Hehua International Airport. It is composed of the old city and the new city. The old city is surrounded by mountains and rivers. The shallow Tuo River runs through the city. The red sandstone walls stand on the shore. The gate tower built in the Qing Dynasty features rusty iron gate. There are more than 20 old streets and lanes winding through the old city. 68 old buildings in the Ming and Qing Dynasty are well-preserved there.
In addition to old buildings, visitors can explore its nightlife in Fenghuang Old City. They can visit the Bars Street, or refresh themselves in one cafe in the evening. Visitors can visit the old city for free. But if they want to visit the Nine attractions, that is the Former Residence of Shen Congwen, the Former Residence of Xiong Xiling, the Yangjia Ancestral Temple, the East Gate Tower, the Old City Museum, the Wanshou Palace, the Hongqiao Art Building, the Chongdetang and Tuojiang Cruise, you have to get the ticket for the nine attractions.
If you are planning to visit Fenghuang Old City for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the early morning, the late afternoon and the evening. If you don’t visit it for photography purposes, you could visit the old city around the year.
If you are interested to explore the culture and customs of ethnic minorities there, it is recommended that you visit it on the lunar 6th of June – Singing Fair of Miao people, the 8th of the lunar April Festival, Miao New Year (different days for each year, usually from the lunar September to December) and Ganqiu Festival on the beginning of autumn (Liqiu).
There are several direct buses to Fenghuang Old City from Fenghuang County. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle from Fenghuang County or Jishou. This is the quickest and most direct options.
- Take a train to Jishou from Zhangjiajie, Changsha or other cities. Then, take a bus from Jishou to Fenghuang County. At last, take Bus 1 and Bus 3 to Fenghuang Old City.
- Take a flight to Tongren Fenghuang Airport, Zhangjiajie Hehua International Airport and Huaihua Zhijiang Airport. Then, take a bus to Fenghuang County. At last, take Bus 1 and Bus 3 to Fenghuang Old City.
- Opening hours for the old city: 24 hours
- Opening hours for the nine attractions: 07:00 -18:00 (April 1 – November 15); 07:30 – 17:30 (November 16 – March 31)
- As at 6th October 2020, visitors can visit Fenghuang Old City for free; the entrance pricing for the nine attractions in the old city is 148 CNY per person for the daytime and 158 CNY per person for the evening; entrance pricing for children between 1.2m (1.2m included) and 1.4m (1.4m not included) and the elder between 65 years old ( 65 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) is 80 CNY per person for the daytime ticket; children under 1.2m (1.2m not included) and the elder above 70 years old ( 70 years old included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)