Qinglong Cave–combination of Buddhist, Taoist & Confucian architecture within a cave
Last Update: 5th October 2020
What is Qinglong Cave?
Originally built between 1368 and 1398, Qinglong Cave, Zhenyuan is located at the south section of the cliff on Zhonghe Mountain. It is not only a cave but also a combination of Buddhist, Taoist and Confucian architects.
Qinglong Cave offers the mountain gate, Lvzu Hall, Avalokitesvara Hall, Jade Emperor Hall, Wangjiang Pavilion, Ziyang Academy, Zhengyi Palace, Zhusheng Bridge, Wanshou Palace, etc. to explore. Some of the old buildings stand on the cliff. The buildings were built on various techniques, such as hanging, leaning, embedding and attaching to another building.
Qinglong Cave Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Zhenyuan Qinglongdong (镇远青龙洞)
- History: originally built between 1368 and 1398
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Architects
- Time required: 1 – 1.5 x hours
What to expect at Qinglong Cave
Qingyang Cave, Zhenyuan offers 35 buildings. Originally built between 1522 and 1566, Ziyang Palace was built in honor of Zhu Xi (1130 – 1200), the Neo-Confucianist in the Song Dynasty (960 – 1279). Compared to other buildings there, Ziyang Palace is much compacter. The palace was aimed to spread Confucianism. You will find several rock inscriptions in the palace as well.
Zhongyuan Zen Courtyard was known as “North Cave” in the ancient times. The Great Buddha Hall, Wangxing Building, Duzhu Pavilion and Hexagonal Pavilion are situated in the courtyard. Tow natural rocks lean against each other, forming the gate of the courtyard.
Wanshou Palace is the largest complex at Qinglong Cave, Zhenyuan. It was originally built in 1734. It is composed of the mountain gate, theater stage, Hall of General Yang Si, the living hall, Hall of Xu Zhenjun and Wengong Temple. The palace is connected to Zhongyuan Zen Courtyard in the north and to Qinglong Cave in the south.
Spanning over Wuyang River, Zhusheng Bridge was built with huge bluestone. The body of the bridge was built in 1605. With 17 holes, the bridge is 135 meters long, 80.15 meters wide and 17 meters high. It is well preserved.
Jade Emperor Hall overlooks the whole Zhenyuan Old Town. You could enjoy the panoramic views of the town on it.
The best time to visit Qinglong Cave, Zhenyuan is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
As Qinglong Cave is located in Zhenyuan Old Town, you need to get to Zhenyuan County first.
- Rent a vehicle to Zhusheng Bridge from Zhenyuan Train Station or Zhenyuan County. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 1 and Bus 2 to the Stop of Zhusheng Bridge (祝圣桥站) from Zhenyuan Train Station.
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 17:30
- As at 5th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the cave is 60 CNY per person; children under 1.1 m tall (1.1 m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please take care of yourself when walking on the stone stairs.
- It is suggested that you explore the cave in the morning as many groups like to visit it.
- At Jade Emperor, you will see that winding Wuyang River and Zhenyuan Old Town form the Eight Diagram.