Wuyang River –famous river running through Zhenyuan Ancient Town
Last Update: 5th October 2020
What is the Wuyang River?
Wuyang River winds through the towns of Zhenyuan, Shibing and Huangping near Kaili City. Wuyang River Scenic Area is composed of the Three Gorges of Wuyang River, Yuntai Mountain, Tiexi, Zhenyuan Old Town and other scenic spots.
It is a combination of natural landscapes, historical sites and national customs.
Wuyang River Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Zhenyuan Wuyanghe (镇远舞阳河)
- Length: 95 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Natural Beauty, Boating
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
What to expect at the Wuyang River
The section of Wuyang River at Wuyang River Scenic Area starts from Huangping Jiuzhou in the east and ends at East Moon Bay in the Zhenyuan Old Town. With a length of 95 kilometers, this section offers 8 valleys to enjoy. This section of Wuyang River consists of the 26-kilometers-long Upper Wuyang River and the 25-kilometers-long Lower Wuyang River.
The Upper Wuyang River winds through Head Valley, Wulu Valley, Old Cave Valley and Guanyin Valley, while the Lower Wuyang River runs through Zhuge Valley, Longwang Valley, West Valley and East Valley. Many peaks with different shapes stand on either side of both of the sections.
The best way to appreciate Wuyang River, Zhenyuan is to take the cruise boat. Most visitors get the ticket for the cruise boat on the Lower Wuyang River. The cruise takes around 2.5 hours. On the boat, you will see many peaks with different shapes, such as King of the Miao people greets guests, a giant elephant drinks water, Jiang Taigong fishes, the peacock spreads its tail and the like. The cruise will take you into the picturesque landscape. The gate of Wuyang River Scenic area is located around 17 kilometers from Zhenyuan Old Town.
After the cruise, you could explore Zhenyuan Old Town home to 20 ethnic minorities in the evening. The town offers the old buildings in the Ming (1368 – 1644) and Qing (1644 – 1912) Dynasty, a variety of themed pubs, handicrafts shops and so on to explore.
The best time to visit Wuyang River, Zhenyuan is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
If you would like to enjoy the cruise on Wuyang River, you need to get to the Wuyang River Scenic Area first. The only option to the scenic area is to rent a vehicle. If you just want to walk along the river at Zhenyuan Old Town, you just need to get to the town. You could rent a vehicle from cities in Guiyang or take a train to Zhenyuan County. Then take Bus 1 to Zhenyuan Old Town.
- Opening hours for Wuyang River Scenic Area: 08:30 – 16:30
- As at 5th October 2020, the entrance pricing to Wuyang River Scenic Area is 40 CNY per person; the ticket for the cruise boat at the area is 100 CNY per person. The pass ticket for the area, the round-trip bus and the cruise is 140 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- If you would like to appreciate the amazing night views of Wuyang River, it is suggested that you stay overnight at Zhenyuan Old Town.
- In the evening, you could walk along the river or enjoy boating on the river at Zhenyuan Old Town.