Zhaoxing Dong Village –the largest Dong Ethnic Minority Village in China
Last Update: 5th October 2020
What is Zhaoxing Dong Village?
The Zhaoxing Dong Ethnic Minority Village is the largest Dong ethnic minority village, located in South-Western Guizhou Province. With traditional buildings and beautiful scenery, the Zhaoxing Dong Minority Village is a popular choice for visitors looking to experience traditional ethnic cultures in Southern China.
Zhaoxing Dong Village Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Zhaoxing Dongzhai (肇兴侗寨)
- Area: 18 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Dong Village, Dong Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Ethnic Minority Culture Learners
- Time required: 5 – 6 x hours
Surrounded by hills, Zhaoxing Dong Village lies in a valley, with intense Dong-style buildings. The traditional layout of Gong village is well-preserved here together with its pristine lifestyle. All the villagers use Lu as the last name. The local houses have hanging feet.
It is divided into 5 districts, named “Tuan” by locals. The village offers you 5 drum towers to explore. Each tower stands in one of the 5 districts. They are called “Li” (礼), “Yi” (义), “Zhi” (智), “Ren”(仁) and “Xin” (信), five conceptions from Confucianism. “Li” means that you should be polite; “Yi” means that you should help them whenever your friends are in trouble; “Zhi” means you should be wise through learning; “Ren” means you should be kind-hearted and “Xin” means you should keep your word. The drum tower works in many ways. It is the symbol of a Dong village. Locals chat or enjoy activities there. It could be a reception place. Locals also discuss the local matters there.
Looking from the façade of the drum tower, it is a typical umbrella-type building. The lowest four pillars in the middle and the eight pillars in the outer make a radioactive octagonal surface, and then the layers are stacked upwards, and the stacked surface are gradually reduced. The whole building is connected by wooden beams through the structure of chuandou. No nail or no rivet is used in the structure. The building is decorated with colored paintings, and some sculptures of fish, birds and beasts. There are also several wind and rain bridges in the village.
“Welcome the guests at the village gate show“ (Zhaimen Yingbin)
- Show Times (April – October): 09:00 – 09:30 (April – October)
- Show Times (November – March): 10:00 – 10:30
“Dancing and singing show” (Morning Show)
- Show Times (April – October): 10:00 – 10:40 (April – October)
- Show Times (November – March): 11:00 – 11:40 (November – March)
“Dancing and singing show” (Evening Show)
- Show Times (April – October): 20:00 – 21:00 (April – October)
- Show Times (November – March): 17:00 – 18:40 (November – March)
Notes: If you want to see the show performed at any other time, you have to pay for it.
Because the show is performed outside, it may be cancelled if it rains or snows.
“Welcome the guests at the village gate” will let you know Dong customs of welcoming the guests. During the ceremony, you will enjoy Lusheng music played by the males in Dong costumes, and try the local alcohol sent by the local girls in Dong costumes. Dong cloth is typical of Dong culture. It is made through dying, curing, drying, hammering, etc.
Dong people celebrate many festivals around the year. Among them, Dong New Year on November 1st in the Chinese lunar calendar is the most important for the villagers. If you stay overnight there, you will watch various performances and get yourself more acquainted with Dong customs. The long table banquet of Dong village is well-known around China. The local food cooked by each household across the village is for all the villagers and the visitors. If you like to enjoy it, you have to pay for it. The fee is subject to the leaders in the village. It may differ every year.
If you are planning to visit Zhaoxing Dong Village for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the evening.
The best months to visit are from April to November.
There is an express bus from Congjiang Train Station to the Ticket Office of Zhaoxing Scenic Area. Or you can rent a vehicle from the train station to the ticket office directly.
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 5th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the village is 80 CNY per person; the ticket for the one-way shuttle bus you have to take at the ticket office in the area is 10 CNY per person; the children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Alipay and WeChat Pay are available in the village.
- If interested, you could hike to Tang’an Dong Village from Zhaoxing Dong Village. The scenery on the way is stunning as well.