Xiaozhai Village – an authentic & largely untouched Yao Ethnic Minority Village
Last Update: 5th October 2020
What is Xiaozhai Village at the Longji Rice Terraces?
Compared to other ethnic minority villages in Longsheng, Xiaozhai Village is a lesser known village due to the isolation and underdeveloped roads leading into the village.
Due to the fact that many day tourists travel directly to the villages of either Ping’an Village or Dazhai Village, the Yao ethnic minority villagers in Xiaozhai Village have kept a relatively pristine local life for hundreds of years. In addition, its ancient buildings with high feet in Red Yao style are also well-preserved in Xiaozhai Village.
- Chinese Name: Xiaozhaicun (小寨村)
- Location: Longsheng Rice Terraces Scenic Area
- Things to do there: Photography, Architectural Photography, Landscape Photography, Hiking, Local Life Experience
- Who visits: Photographers, Hikers, Adventure enthusiasts!
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Visitor to Longsheng are amazed and shocked at its rice terraces, the old buildings with Zhuang and Yao cultures and the local festivals of its ethnic minorities. Visitors can enjoy its stunning rice terraces at several viewpoints at high latitude and taste the local cuisine, including bamboo rice, bamboo chicken and the distinctive Zhuang watery wine.
As Xiaozhai Village is hidden in the mountains due to its undeveloped transportation system, it is like a gem awaiting people to explore its unique charm and beauty.
A stream runs through the uphill to the bottom of the village. Well-preserved and old buildings with high feet stand on either side of the stream. Local ladies in Red Yao costume do their daily activities either outside the house or in the fields near the village. Local ladies are good at embroidering. Jinkeng Rice Terraces and Tiantouzhai Village are located opposite Xiaozhai Village. In the village, visitors can overlook Jinkeng Rice Terraces
If you are planning to visit Xiaozhai Village for photography, the best time to visit is from the end April to the early October. During this period, the landscape is stunning and the weather is comfortable.
From the end April to the early June, the terraces are filled with water. From the early June to the early September, green rice grows well in the terraces. From the middle of September, the rice turns yellow that the terraces look like golden ribbons making the breathtaking scenery.
Located in the Longsheng Rice Terraces Scenic Area, Xiaozhai Village is located at the foot of Fupingbao (福平包). It is approximately 85 kilometers from Guilin City.
There is no direct bus from Longsheng or Guilin to Xiaozhai Village. Therefore, there are only a few options:
Rent a vehicle departing from either Guilin or Longsheng. This is the quickest and most direct option.
If you depart from Guilin, take a bus from Guilin Qintan Bus Station (桂林琴潭汽车站) to Longsheng Bus Station (龙胜汽车站). Then, take a tourist shuttle bus to Jinkeng Rice Terraces. Hike to Xiaozhai Village from Dazhai Parking Lot.
If you depart from Longsheng, take a tourist shuttle bus from Longsheng Bus Station to Jinkeng Rice Terraces. Hike to Xiaozhai Village from Dazhai Parking Lot.
- There is big difference of temperature between day and evening. If you are planning to visit Xiaozhai in autumn or winter, please take enough warm clothes with you.
- In summer, you can wear T-shirts or shirts.
- Please wear comfortable hiking shoes.
- Please take an umbrella with you in case that it is rainy.
- Please bring cooling ointment and insect repellent with you.
- Entrance pricing is 100 CNY per adult as at 5th October 2020. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Opening hours: 24 hours.