Xi’an Drum Tower - one of the largest & best preserved Drum Towers in China
Last Update: 9th October 2020
What is the Xi’an Drum Tower?
Located in the heart of Xi’an, the Xi’an Drum Tower stands 200 meters northwest of the Bell Tower. It was originally built in 1380. The tower is a brick and wooden structure, built on a square base. It is 36 meters tall
Xi’an Drum Tower Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xi’an Gulou (西安鼓楼)
- Height: 36 meters tall
- Things to do there: Photography, Ancient Chinese Culture Study
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at the Xi’an Drum Tower
The base of the Xi’an Drum Tower is a large square base. There is one arch with a height and a width of 6 meters in the north side and the south side of the base. With multiple roofs, the Xi’an Drum Tower is a beam-framed wooden structure. The construction technology of the Xi’an Drum Tower has many innovations based on the application of the Tang Dynasty (618 – 907) style and the architectural principles in the Song Dynasty (960 – 1279). There is no nail in the whole building. Rich in national characteristics, the Xi’an Drum Tower is magnificent.
There is one horizontal inscribed board in the north and south side under the third roof of the tower. One in the south side says “Wenhu Shengdi” (文武盛地) and the one in the north side says “Shengwen Yutian” (声闻于天). Visitors can appreciate Chinese painting in the tower, including the works by Qi Baishi and Li Keran. In addition, visitors can admire the drum. The drum is 1.8 meters high with a stomach with a diameter of 3.43 meters. The drum weighs 1.5 ton. Visitors can also enjoy a variety of drums, such as stone drums, pottery drums, war drums, bronze drums, etc. Visitors can also enjoy ancient musical performance of the chime-bells and drums on the second floor of the tower.
Best time to visit the Xi’an Drum Tower
The best time to visit the Xi’an Drum Tower is in the morning as it is not hot during its opening hours. The best months to visit are from March to May, and from September to October.
How to get to the Xi’an Drum Tower
The Xi’an Drum Tower is situated in the heart of Xi’an. Therefore, there are some options.
- Rent a vehicle to the Xi’an Drum Tower. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- As Drum Tower is very close to Bell Tower in Xi’an, visitors can take the buses to the Stop of Bell Tower (钟楼站) as follows, and then walk to Drum Tower. Take Bus 4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12,15, 16, 26, 29, 35, 36, 37,43, 45, 46, 47, 201, 203, 208, 218, 235, 229, 300, 600, 606 603, 608, 609, 604, 611, 622, 616 and Tourist Bus 7 and 8 to the Stop of Bell Tower (钟楼).
- Take Metro Line 2 to the Stop of Bell Tower. Walk to Drum Tower.
Additional Xi’an Drum Tower Travel Advice
- Opening hours: October 26 – March 25: 08:30 – 18:00 (the tickets are not issued at 17:30); March 26 – October 25: 08:30 – 21:00 (the tickets are not issued at 20:30)
- As at 9th October 2020, entrance pricing for the Xi’an Drum Tower is 35 CNY per person; Children under 1.2m (1.2m not included) and the elder above 65 years old (65 years old not included) are free of charge. The pass ticket for Bell Tower and Drum Tower is 50 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The time for the chime-bells ancient musical performance is 09:30, 10:15, 11:00, 11:45, 14:00, 14:45, 15:30, 16:20.
- If you want to hail a taxi to the tower, some driver may refuse to take you there especially on holidays. Because the Bell Tower is located in the heart of Xi’an, the traffic there is always busy.
- The Drum Tower offers rental service for audio guide which offers English, Chines, Japanese and Korean interpretation.