What is the Wulingyuan Scenic Area?
Located in northwest of Hunan Province, Wulingyuan Scenic Area is composed of Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, Suoxiyu Nature Reserve, Tianzi Mountain Nature Reserve and Yangjiajie Scenic Area.
It offers a variety of stunning landscape to explore. Visitors are always amazed at its breathtaking landscape with peaks in different shapes.
Wulingyuan Scenic Area Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Wulingyuan Fengjingqu (武陵源风景区)
- Area: 500 x square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Climbing
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure enthusiasts!
- Time required: 2 – 4 x days
What to expect at the Wulingyuan Scenic Area?
The Zhangjiajie National Forest Park includes several attractions such as Yellowstone Village (黄石寨), Shadao Gully (砂刀沟), Golden Whip Stream (金鞭溪), Yaozi Village (腰子寨), and Yuanjiajie Scenic Area (袁家界景区). Golden Whip Stream is 7.5 kilometers. The scenery along the stream is the most beautiful in the Wulingyuan Scenic Area. Walk through the peaks and valleys, and you will enjoy the fresh air and the amazing sightseeing.
Located in the northern part of the Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, Yuanjiajie Scenic Area offers landscape mainly composed of quartzite. As one of “Three Thousand Unique Peaks” in Zhangjijie National Forest Park, the Southern Sky Column stands at the area with an altitude of 1074 meters above sea level and a vertical height of 150 meters. You will find the Tian Xia Di Yi Qiao at Yuanjiajie Area. The stone bridge is natural. Surrounded by old trees, it is some 4 meters deep, and 1- 3 meters wide.
Yellowstone Village offers several amazing attractions to you to explore, such as Star Picking Platform at the east end of the village, natural murals, Conch Peak, Head of Dragon Peak, South Heaven Gate, West Heaven Gate, and so on. On the path to the top, you will encounter many wild monkeys.
Suoxiyu Nature Reserve has more than 2,000 peaks and 6 streams. At Suoxiyu Nature Reserve, you could discover the 10 Mile Gallery where some 200 peaks with different shapes stand. Yellow Dragon Cave is a combination of underground rivers, three underground waterfalls, four ponds, and stalactites in different shapes.
In Tianzi Mountain Nature Reserve, you could appreciate unique “Sky Fields” (空中田园) located on a single stone pillar on a cliff, Shentang Bay (神堂湾), Dianjiang Platform (点将台) set in a deep valley, Helong Park, Xianren Bridge (仙人桥)- a natural arch spanning across a valley, Shenbing Juhui Peaks (神兵聚会), Yubi Peak (御笔峰), etc.
Covering an area of 34 square kilometers, Yangjiajie Scenic Area is typical of quartz sandstone peaks landform. The forest coverage is up to 95%. It offers three tourist areas, Xiangzhi Stream, Longquan Valley and Monkeys Valley with more than 200 spots to admire. Xiangzhi Stream winds through the towering peaks with old stone roads; you will find tall cliffs at Longquan Valley, which makes a natural wall; Monkeys Valley is home to macaque and egret. Hundreds of monkeys enjoy themselves through jumping from one tree to another and flocks of egret fly in the forests and take a rest in the branch.
Best time to visit the Wulingyuan Scenic Area?
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to the Wulingyuan Scenic Area?
There are five ticket stations in Wulingyuan Scenic Area – Wulingyuan Ticket Station, Forest Park Ticket Station, Water Round Four Gates Ticket Station, Yangjiajie Ticket Station and Tianzi Mountain Ticket Station. Generally speaking, numerous tourists enter the area from the Wulingyuan Ticket Station and Forest Park Ticket Station. There are the tourists bus from Zhangjiajie Bus Station to National Forest Ticket Station.
- Rent a car from Zhangjiajie to the National Forest Ticket Station or Tianzi Mountain Ticket Station. Then, take a cable car to the top of the mountain. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a tourist bus at Zhangjiajie Bus Station. It takes 40 minutes drive from the station to National Park Ticket Station.
Take a tourist bus at Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station to Tianzi Mountain Ticket Station. It takes 2 hours drive from the station to Tianzi Mountain Ticket Station.
Additional Wulingyuan Scenic Area Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 17:00
- As at 6th October 2020, between March 1 and November 30, the pass ticket for the area is 248 CNY per person (including the insurance); Children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) and the elders above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge whilst these people are charged 68 CNY per person for the shuttle bus (including insurance); Children between 1.3m (1.3m included) and 1.5m (1.5m not included) are charged 163 CNY per person(including insurance); The elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old ( 70 years old not included) are charged 168 CNY per person (including insurance).
- As at 6th October 2020, between December 1 and February 28, the pass ticket for 118 CNY per person.
- The pass ticket is valid in four days from the date when you get it ( For example, if the ticket is issued at 13:00 on Thursday 17th January, 2019, the ticket is valid by 13:00 on Thursday 21st January, 2019).
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please check out weather condition ahead of time. If it is rainy during your tour, please take a coat with you to keep warm as it is a little cold in Wulingyuan Area on rainy days.
- If you plan to visit the area in summer, you’d better take the sunscreen, floral water, sunglasses, band-aid and hats. Please remember to wear antiskid hiking shoes.
- During the National Day Festival of China, Spring Festival and the summer holiday, pricing for hotels and restaurants also goes up as they are the peak season in China.
- Be sure not to explore the areas marked with “No Passing” and “Dangerous”.
- The mountain road is wet and slippery in rainy days. In addition, rain and fog can also lead to unclear sight. Thus, it is not suggested that you risk climbing the mountain in the rain.
- It is recommended that you discover the scenic area with your own foot. Of course, if your body conditions don’t allow you to do that, you could take a cable car or a shuttle bus. If you visit Zhangjiajie for the first time, it is recommended that you ask a travel agency to customize your tour based on your budget and preference, which can save your time and your energy.