Wansheng Stone Forest – the second largest stone forest in China
Last Update: 23th October 2020
Covering an area of 10 square kilometers, Wansheng Stone Forest is acclaimed the oldest stone forest around China. It features karst stones, including stone drums, stone pagodas, mushroom stones, stone buds, etc.
- Chinese Name: Wansheng Shilin (万盛石林)
- Area: 10 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography,Hiking, Stone Forest
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventures
- Time required: 2-3 hour
What to expect at Wansheng Stone Forest
Located around 130 kilometers from Chongqing City, Wansheng Stone Forest formed about 460 million years ago. It is a fusion of hills, waters, forests, stones and caves. It offers stone forests on the ground and underground caves to explore. It is cool in summer.
The stones with different appearances in the area are natural. You could see stone tigers, lions, birds, the outstanding stone fans, stone turtles, stone tombs and stone valleys there.
The stone fan is nearly 6 meters tall. The fan surface is about 6.5 meters in diameter and the thickest part is less than 2 meters. You could find fossils in the stone there. Around 460 million years ago, the spot where the stone forest is located was a sea which was home to sea creatures. Thus, you may see stone shells, stone eggs, stone snails, and the like there.
Stone valleys formed due to the karst collapse. There are 3 stone valley in the east of Wansheng Stone Forest. The walls of the valley are composed of large stones in similar sizes. No matter what the weather is like, water always drops off from the stone wall.
There are 3 stone tombs in the area. One is located in the parking lot. The others are situated by Luhua Lake. All of them were built in the Tonzhi Period (1862 – 1874). The facade of the tombs is carved with exquisite patterns.
Visitors can explore Tiamen Cave, Guojielou Cave, Liangfeng Cave, Xiannv Cave, Guanma Cave, Touniu Cave, Jiulong Cave and Guanyin Cave.
The best time to visit Wansheng Stone Forest is in the morning as it takes several hours to visit.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
Unfortunately, there is no direct bus from Chongqing City to Wansheng Stone Forest. Therefore, the only option is to rent a vehicle.
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 16:00
- As at 23rd October 2020, the entrance pricing to the area is 65 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 64 years old (64 years old included) are charged 32 CNY per person; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall included) are charged 32 CNY per person; the elder above 65 years old (65 years old included) are free of charge; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- It is recommended that you bring an umbrella and sunglasses with you to prevent the strong sun.
- It is suggested that you bring enough drinking water and food with you.