Tiananmen Square - Acrobatic theater in central Beijing
What is Tiananmen Square?
Located in the center of Beijing, Tiananmen Square starts from Tiananmen Tower in the north, Zhengyangmen Gate in the south, National Museum of China in the east, and the Great Hall of the People in the west.
With an area of 440,000 square meters, it is 880 meters long from north to south, and 500 meters wide from east to west.
- Chinese Name: Tiananmen Guangchang (天安门广场)
- Area: 440,000 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Chinese Culture, Chinese History
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture Lovers, Architecture Learners
- Time required: 1 – 2 x Hours
During holidays, the Guards of Honor of the People’s Liberation Army conduct the ceremony with the company of the military orchestra who plays “Ode to the Motherland” during marching and “the National Anthem Of China” during the raising of the flag. While on other days, the recording of “the National Anthem Of China” is played during the raising of the flag.
Best time to visit Tiananmen Square
If you would like to experience the grand flag-raising ceremony, the best time to visit Tiananmen Square is in the early morning. Please note, lots of tourists will admire the ceremony, especially on holidays.
If you are not interested to watch the ceremony, it is recommended that you visit Tiananme Square in the late afternoon.
How to get to Tiananmen Square
As Tiananmen Square is situated at the heart of Beijing, there are many options.
- Rent a vehicle to the square. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 1, 2, 5, 8, 17, 48, 66, 67, 69, 71, 82, 10, 52, 59, 82, 90, 99, 120 and Bus 126 to the square.
- Take Metro Line 1 and Line 2 to the square.
Additional Tiananmen Square Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 05:00 – 22:00 (Tiananmen Square); 08:30 – 16:30 (Tiananmen Tower)
- Admission fee: free of charge
- As at 8th October 2020, the entrance pricing to Tiananmen Tower is 15 CNY per person; the elder above 65 years old (65 years old not included) are free of charge; the elder between 60 years old and 65 years old (65 years old included) are charged 5 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Any liquid including water is not allowed to take into the Tiananmen Tower.
- Please remember to bring your passports with you when visiting the Tiananmen Tower.
- It is not allowed to take the luggage into the Tiananmen Tower. You can storage it in the left-luggage office.
- The route for visiting Tianamen Tower is one-way.