Stilwell Museum Chongqing – former residence of General Joseph Stilwell in Chongqing
Last Update: 23rd October 2020
Set up in 1991, General Joseph W Stilwell Museum is the the former residence of General Joseph W Stilwell in Chongqing between 1942 and 1944. Song Ziwen also lived there. Located at No. 63, Lingxin Road, Yuzhong District, Chongqing, the museum was opened to the public in 2003 after the renovation.
- Chinese Name: Shidiwei Bowuguan (史迪威博物馆)
- Area: 4,800 square meters
- Things to do there: History of Flying Tigers, History of Burma Campaign, Contributions of Stilwell
- Who visits: History Lovers, Scholars, World War II veterans
- Time required: 2 – 3 hours
General Joseph W Stilwell Museum is in honor of General Joseph W Stilwell (1883 – 1946) and his outstandign contributions to the joint fight against fascism between China and the United States during World War II. Every year, a variety of exchange events between China and the United States are held at the museum.
In the guard room are the old office table, a wood chair and old-fashioned telephone used by Yang Mengdong (1916 – 2009), the aide of Stilwell. You will see a micro-cinematograph, a gramophone, and military documents in the meeting room. Next to the meeting room is a small resting room. In the office of General Joseph W Stilwell are the most advanced radio and telephone at that time. The fork and knife in the dining room was in the original order.
The underground floor was where the accompanying personnel lived and the ordnance was stored. Today it is divided into several halls. In time sequence, more than 200 historical pictures present us some information on the themes of “Stilwell and China”, “Campaign in India and Burma”, “Flying Tigers”, “Friendship Forever”, “The Hump Flying”. Four US military vehicles during World War II donated by Tan Yongzhao are well-preserved at the museum as well. The museum also has cultural relics and photographs of the anti-Japanese war in the Far East and videotapes produced by the United States reflecting the situation of the China-Burma-India Theater during World War II.
You could visit the museum at any time during its opening hours.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
Metro Line 2 passes by the museum. Thus, you can take the line to the Stop of Fotuguan (佛图关站) or rent a vehicle to the museum directly.
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 17:00 (It is closed to the public in January and February as it is maintained)
- As at 23rd October 2020, the entrance pricing to the museum is 15 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please keep quiet at the museum.
Interested in visiting Stilwell Museum Chongqing on a Tour?