Putao Town – the ideal spot for enjoying the amazing rural scenery in Yangshuo
Last Update: 4th October 2020
What is Putao Town?
With stunning natural beauty and numerous places of interests, Putao Town is attracting more and more attention from visitors, especially photographers from around China. It is located 25 kilometers from Yangshuo (approximately 40 minutes drive from the West Street).
Putao Town also hosts the Putao Rural Market Day, which is held on days ending in 2, 5 and 8 of each month. For example, the 22nd, 15th & 8th of each month (as well as other dates) host the Putao Rural Market Day where farmer’s from all over the Yangshuo countryside travel to and sell their various produce.
Putao Town Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Putaozhen (葡萄镇)
Height: approx.138 km2
- Things to do there: Sunset Photography, Photography, Old Stone Village Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Hikers, Adventure enthusiasts!
- Time required: 1 x Full Day
What to expect at Putao Town
It can make you lost in the beautiful landscape and take you back in time as well. You can appreciate the rural scenery from the top of Cuiping Hill and explore the old Stone Village which is isolated and abandoned in the hills. The houses in the Stone Village were built nothing but stones. No clay and any other building materials was applied to its construction
Best time to visit Putao Town
If you’re planning to visit Putao Town for photography purposes or want to explore or experience the farming activities in the Yangshuo countryside, the best time is from the mid-April to early May or from the end July to the early August. From mid-April to early May, you will see many locals growing rice in the fields. If interested, you can join them.
From the end July to the early August, rice has turned yellow and ripe and you also can see many villagers harvesting rice by hand. If interested, you also can experience the farming activity with them together. Yellow rice in the fields create a stunning view ideal for photography.
The best months for photography are usually from April until October
How to get to Putao Town
As Putao Town is developing its tourism these years, many roads have been built to meet the need for visitors who are interested to enjoy the rural scenery there. Based on your preference and budget, there are a few options for how to get there:
- Rent a vehicle departing from either Guilin or Yangshuo. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a bus (not direct bus) from Guilin (the small square in front of Guilin Railway Station) to Yangshuo. Let the driver know that you will be getting off in Putao Town. It takes around 50 minutes drive from Guilin to the town.
- Take a bus from Yangshuo to Putao Town.
Additional Putao Town Travel Advice
- If you would like to photograph the sunset from the top of Cuiping Hill, please arrange your own transportation from Putao Town beforehand because there is no direct bus to the hill from the town.
- If you want to visit most of the attractions across Putao Town, including Cuiping Hill and the Stone Village, please set aside one day at least for them.
- Please take a map with you and wear comfortable hiking shoes if you are planning to explore the Stone Village. Some visitors spent so much time to walk to other villages near the village.