Putao Rural Market Day – insight into local farmers’ lives & rural market place
Last Update: 4th October 2020
What is Putao Rural Market Day?
If you would like to get a little acquainted with the local customs and lifestyle, the rural market always offers you a great chance to explore the local life. Putao Town is a combination of landscape, old history and culture and strong local atmosphere.
There, you could enjoy the gorgeous natural beauty, such as Cuiping Hill which is perfect for photographing, explore the little-known Old Stone City in the countryside and experience the local rural market held on the scheduled dates which end with the numbers of “2”, “5” and “8”.
Putao Rural Market Day Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Yangshuo Putaoxu (阳朔葡萄圩)
- Dates: set dates which end with the numbers of “2”, “5” and “8”
- Things to do there: Photography, Rural Market
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Interested in visiting Putao Rural Market Day during a Yangshuo Tour?
What to expect at the Putao Rural Market Day
Putao Town is located some 22 kilometers from Yangshuo. Puto Rural Market Day is always held on the dates which end with the numbers of “2”, “5” and “8”, such as 2, 5, 8, 12, 15, and 18 and so on. At the market, you will see many local farmers take local agricultural products, such as kumquats, grapefruit, corns, tomatoes, chillies, peanuts, Chinese chestnuts, fresh vegetables, etc. After selling out the products they carry to the market, the farmers begin to purchase what they need, such as meat, daily necessities and the cookers.
In addition, you will find some local handmade bamboo rain hats, straw rain capes, bamboo baskets, wooden benches and chairs, and handmade fishing nets.
If interested, you could try local snacks at the market, such as deep-fried taro pancakes, sweet potato pancakes, rice tofu, Zongzi which is made of glutinous rice and stuffed with pork, Chinese chestnuts, beans, semen sesame nigrum and the like.
Some local fortune tellers always do their business at the market at the fixed points. If interested, you could invite them to do the fortune-telling for you just for entertainment. First, they will ask what date you were born and will check your face carefully. Then, they will ask you to reach out the right hand (if you are female) or the left hand (if you are male) to observe it in earnest. At last, they will tell you what will happen to you in several years on your marriage, your family and your career.
Some elder locals always enjoy themselves through playing local cards. Made of paper, the local cards are very thin and long with 10 traditional Chinese characters from first to tenth. Some elders play chess. You could also visit the traditional Chinese medicine shops. Locals speak the local language to bargain for what they want.
Best time to visit the Putao Rural Market Day
Generally speaking, the market is always crowded between 8am to 14pm. Therefore, the best time to visit the market is during the period of time.
You could visit the market on the fixed dates around the year.
How to get to Putao Rural Market Day
As Putao Town is developing its tourism these years, many roads have been built to meet the need for visitors who are interested to enjoy the rural scenery there. Based on your preference and budget, there are a few options for how to get there:
- Rent a vehicle departing from either Guilin or Yangshuo. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a bus (not direct bus) from Guilin (the small square in front of Guilin Railway Station) to Yangshuo. Let the driver know that you will be getting off in Putao Town. It takes around 50 minutes drive from Guilin to the town.
- Take a bus from Yangshuo to Putao Town.
Additional Putao Town Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 16:00
- It is free to visit the market.
- The market is only open on the dates which end with the numbers of “2”, “5” and “8”, such as 2, 5, 8, 12, 15, and 18 and so on.
- Please take care of your valuables at the market.
- If you are crazy about photographing, it is recommended that you explore the Xianggong Hill located around 15 kilometers east of Putao Town for the sunrise in the early morning first. Then go to the market. After visiting the market, you could head for Cuiping Hill which is just 4 kilometers south of Putao Town to shoot the stunning sunset with the countryside views.
Interested in visiting Putao Rural Market Day on a Tour?