What is Ping an Village?
Occupying the entire Ping An Zhuang Rice Terraces, Ping An Village can be said the most popular and developed village in Longji Rice Terraces Scenic Area. The village has two viewpoints with amazing views to enjoy.
- Chinese Name: Ping’anzhai (平安寨)
- History: more than 400 years
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Adventure, Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Ping An Village is home to Zhuang People for hundreds of years. They produce delicious local food and create rich culture customs. The Viewpoint of Nine Dragons and Five Tigers offers the panoramic views of the village to admire. If you want to appreciate the amazing sunrise, the Viewpoint of Seven Stars with the Moon is an ideal point.
The views there are breathtaking from March to October, especially between late September and early October when the rice is golden and ripe enough to get harvested. If it snows in winter, the rice terraces present another type of stunning views.
Every year at early June, Ping An Village regularly holds the Rice Seedling Planting Festival. On that day, villagers wear the traditional costumes. They play drums and suona horns at the village gate to show the warm welcome to tourists. Also, they’ll offer the local watery wine to the tourists to have a try. After that, villagers carry the Lady of Rice Seedlings on a small bamboo stretcher to walk to the specific plot of rice terrace. The lady is selected by the elders of the village. Some villagers carry the rice seedlings following the lady. Some local women holding a red umbrella walk after them. Later, local villagers begin to plant the rice seedlings in the rice terraces near the Scenic Spot of Seven Stars with the Moon.
In the afternoon, a tug-of-war in the rice terraces takes the atmosphere of the festival to the exciting point. 5 men and 5 women from the same village make the members of a team. The defeated one will be punished to drink a bowl of watery wine on site. Activity of Flying the Golden Pheasant in the rice terraces below the Viewpoint of Nine Dragons and Five Tigers is one important part of the festival. 100 golden pheasants fly over the rice terraces. It is said that those who catches the golden pheasant will get the good blessing.
Catching fishes in the rice terraces is also exciting. If interested, you can join the game as well. At night, the rice terraces at the spot of Seven Stars with the Moon are decorated with torches and fireworks make for stunning views there.
If you’d like to visit the village for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at sunrise.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
- Opening hours: 24 hours.
- As it is located in Longji Rice Terraces Scenic Area, you’d need to pay for the entrance pricing to the area.
- As at 5th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the terraces (excluding the shuttle bus in the area) is 80 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 40 CNY per person.
- As at 5th October 2020, the entrance ticket for the one-way shuttle bus in the Longji Rice Terraces Scenic Area is 20 CNY per person; the entrance ticket for the round-trip shuttle bus in the Longji Rice Terraces Scenic Area is 40 CNY per person.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- If you’re planning to visit the village at festivals, especially at the Rice Seedling Planting Festival, it is strongly recommended that you arrive at the village 1 day at least in advance.
- Please wear comfortable hiking shoes.
- Please take enough clothes with you if you are planning to visit in winter as it is colder than Guilin.
- Please take an umbrella with you in case it is rainy there