People’s Liberation Monument – one of the famous landmarks in Chongqing
Last Update: 23rd October 2020
Originally built on October 31, 1946 and completed in August 1947, the People’s Liberation Monument stands at the heart of Jiefangbei CBD, Chongqing. It faces north and it is an octagonal column concrete structure. It covers an area of 62 square meters.
People’s Liberation Monument Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Chongqing Jiefangbei (重庆解放碑)
- Height: 27.5 meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, Architects
- Time required: 30 x minutes
The People’s Liberation Monument is a symbol of the victory of the Chinese people in the anti-fascist war, a symbol of Chongqing’s liberation and Chongqing. The reliefs on the monument present the hardship of the Chinese people in the Anti-Japanese War.
The round inner of the monument offers a winding ladder to the observatory on the top of the monument. The diameter of the observatory is 4.5 meters long. It can accommodate 20 visitors to overlook the bird’s eye views of the Jiefangbei CBD. The top of the observatory is fitted with a wind direction meter, anemometer, and a compass. As it is located in the Jiefangbei CBD, you can explore the district to take a rest and enjoy local food.
The best time to visit People’s Liberation Monument is in the morning and at night.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
Several buses pass by the monument. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the monument. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 413, 418, 301, 303, 251, 215, 103, 104, 105, 111, 112 and Bus 122 to the Stop of Jiefangbei (解放碑站). Then, walk to the monument.
- Opening hours: 24 hours.
- As at 23rd October 2020, visitors can visit the monument for free.
- Please take care of your valuables.