What is Jinli Pedestrian Street?
As part of Wuhouci Temple Museum, Jinli Pedestrian Street offers visitors a great chance to experience the culture of the Three Kingdoms (220 – 280) and Chengdu’s customs. The street is located in the middle section of Wuhouci Street, adjacent to Jinjiang River in the north and Rainbow Bridge in the east. A wall stands between the east side of the cultural relics area of the Wuhou Temple Museum and Jinli Pedestrian Street.
- Chinese Name: Jinli Gujie (锦里古街)
- Length: 550 meters
- Things to do there:Photography, Culture of the Three Kingdoms, Chengdu Customs, Chengdu Cuisine
- Who visits: Photographers, Ancient Chinese Culture Lovers, Foodies!
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Open to the public in 2004, Jinli Pedestrian Street(锦里古街) covers an area of more than 3 hectares. It offers many old buildings originally built between the late Ming (1368 – 1644) and early Qing (1644 – 1912) dynasties to explore. The traditional folk performances such as traditional weddings, folk music, dramas and folk costume shows, are regularly held in the area.
If interested, you could refresh yourself in a theater, appreciating Sichuan Opera with a cup of tea in your hand or only drink tea on the first floor of a tea house, seeing the outside views. In addition, you also can explore the shadow play, sugar painting, paper-cutting and clay figures with Chengdu folk customs.
There are also themed restaurants, special inns and bars transformed from the old buildings for you to enjoy the local cuisine and experience the nightlife.
If you are planning to visit Jinli Pedestrian Street for photography purposes, the best time to visit is by 10:00am or in the evening as there may be lots of visitors after 10:00am.
The best months to visit is it is from March to May and from September to November as these months are not so cold or so hot.
Jinli Pedestrian Street is located near Wuhouci Temple in downtown Chengdu. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the street. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 1, Bus 10, Bus 57, Bus 82, Bus 334, Bus 335, and Bus 521 to the Wuhouci Temple. Then, walk to the street.
- Take Metro Line 3 to the Stop of the Gaosheng Bridge(高升桥站). And walk to the Entrance D. Out of the entrance, walk for about 10 minutes to the street.
- Take direct buses from the Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport(成都双流国际机场), the Chengdu East Bus Station(成都东汽车客运站), the Kuanzhai Ancient Street(宽窄巷子), the Du Fu Cottage(杜甫草堂), the Jinsha Archaeological Site(金沙遗址), the Chunxi Road(春熙路), the Dujiangyan Irrigation System(都江堰) and the Sanxingdui Site(三星堆遗址) to the Wuhouci Temple. Then, walk to the street
- Opening hours: 05:00 – 23:00
- Admission fee: free
- Snacks Street is closed from 22:00, however various bars are open late into the night
- Some restaurants are overly expensive and we recommend other areas for good quality food