Jing An Temple - one of Shanghai’s top shopping malls
Last Update: 8th October 2020
With a total building area of 2.2 hectares, the Jing An Temple mainly consists of the main hall, Hall of Heavenly Kings and Sansheng Hall. The surrounding high-rise buildings are in stark contrast to the renovated temples. The existing hotel was built in 1216.
Jing An Temple Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Jing’ansi (静安寺)
- History: Over 780 years of history
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Buddhism
- Who visits: Photographers, Buddhism Believers, Ancient Chinese Art Lovers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x Hours
What to expect at the Jing An Temple
After entering the mountain gate of Jing An Temple, you will see a large incense burner cast with 15 tons of white copper. At the Guanyin Hall, you can find a 6.2-meter-high camphor-made statue of Guanyin worshiped. The 3.7-meter-tall jade statue of Sakyamuni is worshiped at the Sakyamuni hall. The statue is larger than the jade Buddha at the Jade Buddha Temple. It was said that in order to carry the statue into the temple, the door wall of the temple was pulled down because of the bid size of the statue.
At the main hall on the mountain gate, you will see silver a statue of Buddha with a weight of 15 ton. The three-dimensional murals on the opposite side of the Buddha statue are exquisite and precious. They are stories of Buddhist scriptures that are collaged in color with various colors of jade, coral, shells, jade, pearls, etc. The four frames of the lotus petals are covered with gold foil.
At the northwestern corner of the temple stands the Jing An Pagoda. Plated with gold on the façade, the pagoda with King Kong Throne Tower Style is dedicated to 868 Buddha statues and many treasures while it is not open to the public.
The best time to visit Jiang An Temple is in the morning except that during holidays and at weekends, the lunar 1st and 15th of every month.
There are several buses passing by the temple. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the temple. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 321, 15, 45, 838, 94, 315, 327, 330, 20, 57, 40, 93, 830, 927, 824and Bus 113 to the Stop of Jing An Temple (静安寺站).
- Take Metro Line 2 and Line 7 to the Stop of Jing An Temple (静安寺站).
- Opening hours: 07:30 – 17:00
- As at 8th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the temple is 50 CNY per person. It is free for the lunar 1st and 15th of every month and the birthday of Sakyamuni Buddha and Bodhisattva. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- On the birthday and memorial days of each Bodhisattva, Dharma assembly is always held at the temple.
- If interested, you can enjoy the delicious vegetables at the vegetarian restaurant near the Jing An Pagoda.
- Please take care of your valuables when exploring the temple.
- On the lunar 8th of April, the temple always holds the fair.