Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village – an off-the-beaten track Dong Village!
Last Update: 5th October 2020
What is Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village?
Located approximately 50 kilometers from Zhaoxing Dong Ethic Minority Village (1 x hour drive from Huanggang Dong Village), Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village is a less known Dong village – the best preserved Dong village hidden in the mountains in Guizhou.
The Dong culture and customs are well-preserved in the small village due to the underdeveloped transportation and its location. The villagers still live their life in a primitive way from generation to generation except the use of electricity.
Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Huanggangcun (黄岗村)
Area: 2,970 hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Dong Culture, Off-the-beaten-track experiences, Architecture Photography
- Who visits: Photographers, Ethnic Minority Culture Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasits!
- Time required: 1.5 – 2 x hours
Interested in visiting Huanggang Dong Minority Village during a Guizhou Tour?
What to expect at Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village
Visitors to Guizhou are always amazed at Zhaoxing Dong Minority Village – the largest settlement for Dong People around the world. Countless visitors visit Zhaoxing every year. Thus, Zhaoxing is getting more and more touristy.
In contrast, as Huanggang Ethnic Minority Village is hidden in the mountains, it is much harder to get to the village. The roads to the village wind through many mountains. Although Huanggang is only 50 kilometers from Zhaoxing, it takes 1.5 – 2 hours drive to the village from Zhaoxing due to the winding mountain roads. Therefore, Huanggang has preserved the most authentic Dong culture.
The villagers have had a same lifestyle for hundreds of years. Visitors can explore their local life and enjoy Dong choir. In fact, Dong choir originates from Huanggang. Five drum towers stand in different directions at the village. When the elders are free, they love chatting in the tower. Many important ceremonies are also held in the towers. The houses around the village are all featured with Dong characteristics. Through thousands of years, the villagers have preserved their unique culture very well. Most of the elder can’t speak Mandarin and few of them can understand it either. They only speak Dong language. If you are lucky enough, you may see some women weaving their unique cloth.
Goddess of Thunder Worship Festival (Han Tian Festival) on the 15th of June in the lunar calendar and Tai Guanren Festival (Guanren stands for the learned and successful people) on the 7th of January in the lunar calendar. On these festivals, the villagers always wear their unique costumes, play Lusheng and sing Dong choir. On Tai Guanren Festival, many families will dress their children (boys or young men) and hold them on a simple handmade bamboo palanquin to walk around the whole village. Through these activities, they show the hope that their children will make a difference some day
Best time to visit Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village
If you are planning to visit Huanggang Ethnic Minority Village for photography purposes, the best time to visit is from April to October. If you are interested to experience their culture, please visit the village on the 15th of June and on the 7th of January in the lunar calendar. You will be amazed and shocked at their passion and colorful activities. Otherwise, visiting any time of year is great for an insight into local culture and a step back in time!
How to get to Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village
As Huanggang Ethnic Minority Village is located in the very deep mountains, there is no direct bus from Zhaoxing, Guiyang or Guilin to the village. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle departing from either Guilin or Guizhou – although be prepared for a long trip!
- Take a high speed train from Guilin West Railway Station to Congjiang (从江). It takes about 1 hour by train. Then, rent a vehicle to Huanggang Ethnic Minority Village from Congjiang.
- If you depart from Guiyang, take a high speed train from Guiyang North Railway Station to Congjiang. It takes about 2 hours by train. Then, rent a vehicle to Huanggang Ethnic Minority Village from Congjiang
Additional Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village Travel Advice
- Please wear the sunscreen cream to protect your skin.
- Wear the sunglasses and take an umbrella with you.
- As Huangguang Ethnic Minority Village is located in the deep mountains, it is recommended to rent a vehicle to drive you there and have the driver wait for you until your tour ends beforehand.
- Bring enough food and drink with you in case you are hungry during the trip as there is no restaurant in the village
Interested in visiting Huanggang Dong Ethnic Minority Village on a Tour?