Hongya Cave – central landscape project in Chongqing
Last Update: 23rd October 2020
With a construction area of 4.6 hectares, Hongya Cave is located on Cangbai Road, Liberation Monument, Yuzhong District, Chongqing. It is a tourist area that combines sightseeing and leisure. It features stilted buildings in the style of Mid-Chongqing houses and antique commercial streets.
Hongya Cave Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Hongyadong (洪崖洞)
- Construction Area: 4.6 hectares
- Things to do there: Hiking, Photography, Shopping, Food
- Who visits: Adventurers, Photographers, Shoppers, Foodies
- Time required: 3 – 4 x hours
As the symbol of Chongqing’s urban spirit, Hongya Cave witnesses the history of Chongqing. The buildings there stretch for 600 meters along the Jialing River. Buildings with hanging feet stand on different tiers. Catering, entertainment, leisure, health care, hotels and special cultural shopping are reasonably combined there.
Hongya Cave presents 11 layers from the appearance. The light is on from 18 pm to 22 pm. In the area, you could appreciate the amazing night views, experience Bayu Culture and try Chongqing Hot Pot.
Pub Street is situated in the 5th layer. Global chain bars from more than 30 countries, such as Japan, South Korea, Italy, Turkey, etc show o the street. These bars have their own features offering different styles of music and wine to enjoy.
Bayu Street in Tiancheng Lane is located in the 1st layer. The antique houses with red eaves and green tiles by the river offers local handicrafts to explore. Food Street located in the 4th layer combines the local snacks and foreign food. If lucky enough, you may see locals doing local specialties on site.
You could take a cup of coffee at one of the cafes or enjoy the Western food at one of the Western restaurants on the Exotic Customs Street in the 9th and 10th layers.
At Hongya Cave, you’ll be able to enjoy the birds eye view of the Chaotianmen Pier. The City Terrace with an area of 7,000 square meters can accommodate 1,000 to admire the landscape of the confluence of the Yangtze River and Jialing River at the same time.
The best time to visit Hongya Cave is at night.
The best months to visit are from May to October.
There are several buses passing by Hongya Cave. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the cave. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 111 to the Stop of Hongya Cave. Take Bus 114 and Bus 105 to the Stop of Xiashizi (小什字站) and walk to the cave.
- Take Metro Line 1 and 6 to the Stop of Xiashizi (小什字站) and walk to the Exit 6 and 9. Then, walk to the cave.
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 23rd October 2020, visitors can explore Hongya Cave for free.
- As it is very popular among locals and tourists, please take care of your valuables.
- It is not recommended that you visit it during the public holidays in China.