Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest - the oldest building in the Temple of Heaven complex
Last Update: 8th October 2020
What is the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest?
Originally built in 1420, the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest is the oldest building in the area of Temple of Heaven. The original rectangle building was torn down in 1540.
In 1545, it was transformed into a circular hall with 3 layers of roof. Unfortunately, it was destroyed due to the thunder and lightning in 1889. Several years later, it was rebuilt with the same facade and the same decorations.
Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest
- Chinese Name: Qiniandian (祈年殿)
- Area: 273 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Chinese Culture, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture Lovers, Architecture Learners
- Time required: 20 – 30 x minutes
Interested in visiting the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest on a Beijing Tour?
What to expect at the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest
The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest is a brick-wood structure without any iron nails. 32 large nanmu pillars support the hall. With a diameter of 32 meters, the hall is 38 meters tall. Its shape represents that the heaven is round and the blue tiles, blue sky. In the hall, the 4 pillars of the inner circle stand for spring, summer, autumn and winter respectively, the 12 pillars of the middle circle stand for 12 months, and the 12 pillars of the outer circle stand for 12 units of a whole day of 24 hours (that is to say, one units stands for 2 hours).
In the middle of the floor of the hall is a round marble with a natural dragon and phoenix pattern. On the top, there is a caisson ceiling with a coiled dragon. The caisson ceiling is composed of two layers of buckets and a layer of ceiling. In the middle is a golden relief of dragon and phoenix. On the square on the south side of the corridor are seven large stones and one small stone. These stones were placed during the period of Jiajing Emperor (1522 – 1566).
Best time to visit the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest
As the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest is situated in the area of Temple of Heaven, the best time to visit is in the morning when fewer tourists visit the hall.
The best months to visit the hall is from March to May and from September to November.
How to get to the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest
The hall is located in the area of Temple of Heaven. Therefore, you should arrive at the temple first and enter the temple through the South Gate, walk northward along the central axis of the temple, pass by Huanqiu (寰丘), Huanqiongyu (皇穹宇) and Danbi Bridge (丹陛桥) and you will see the hall.
As Temple of Heaven is located in downtown, there are many options.
- Rent a vehicle to the Temple of Heaven. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 7, Bus 17, Bus 20, Bus 35, Bus 36, Bus 53, Bus 39, Bus 41, Bus 43, Bus 60, Bus 69, Bus 71, Bus 105, Bus 106, Bus 106, Bus 110, Bus 120, Bus, 122, Bus 525, Bus 610, Bus 800, Bus 685, Bus 684, Bus 687, Bus 707, Bus 814, and Bus 958 to the Stop of Tianqiao (天桥站), the Stop of Tiantan Beimen (天坛北门), the Stop of Tiantan Ximen (天坛西门) or the Stop of Tiantan Nanmen (天坛南门).
Additional Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest Travel Advice
- Opening hours for the park: 06:00 – 21:00 (April 1 – May 31, the tickets are not issued from 20:00); 06:00 – 22:00 (June 1 – August 31, the tickets are not issued from 21:00); 06:00 – 21:00 (September 1 – October 31, the tickets are not issued from 20:00); 06:30 – 20:00 (November 1 – March 31, the tickets are not issued from 19:00)
- Opening hours for Tanghuawu and Huifang Garden: 09:00 – 17:00.
- As at 8th October 2020, entrance pricing (entrance to Tanghuawu and Huifang Garden is not included) for the park is 3 CNY per person; children under 1.2m (1.2m included) are free of charge.
- The combo ticket for Tanghuawu and Huifang Garden is 5 CNY per person.
- Please note, during Tulip Festival, the entrance pricing to the park is 10 CNY per person.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Many visitors enter the park through the South Gate. Therefore, it will be a long queue.
Interested in visiting the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest on a Tour?