What is the Dujiangyan Irrigation System?
Located in the west of Dujiangyan City, Dujiangyan Irrigation System is not only a world-famous ancient Chinese irrigation project, but also a famous scenic area. It was originally built in from about 256 BC to 251 BC under the leading of Li Bing (302 – 235 BC).
- Chinese Name: Dujiangyan Shuili Gongcheng (都江堰水利工程)
- Area: 220 hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture Study, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Hikers
- Time required: 5 – 7 x hours
The three major parts of the system scientifically solves the problems of automatic diversion of rivers, automatic sand discharge, and control of influent flow, thus eliminating flooding. Upon visiting the irrigation system, you will be shocked at the wisdom of the ancient Chinese people more than 2,500 years old. The sound of its water will amaze visitors. Visitors can enjoy the natural beauty in the area, such as forests and waterfalls. In addition, visitors can explore the old buildings in the area, including Fulong Taoist Temple, Two Kings Temple, Anlan Rope Bridge, Yulei Pass, Lidun Park, and Lingyan Temple hidden in the greens.
The best months to visit Dujiangyan Irrigation System is from March to May and from September to November as these months are not so cold or so hot.
There are many buses passing by Dujiangyan Irrigation System from Dujiangyan City. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the bridge. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus from Chadianzi Bus Station (茶店子客运站) in Chengdu to Dujiangyan City. The first bus runs at 07:30 and the last one runs at 19:00. Take a bus to Dujiangyan Irrigation System.
- Take a direct bus from Chengbei Bus Station (城北客运站) in Chengdu to Dujiangyan City. The first bus runs at 07:00 and the last one runs at 18:00. Take a bus to Dujiangyan Irrigation System.
- Take a train from Chengdu North Train Station or Chongqing North Train Station to Dujiangyan Train Station. Take a bus to Dujiangyan Irrigation System.
- Opening hours: December 1 – March 1: 08:00 – 17:30; March 2 – November 30: 08:00 – 18:00
- As at 7th October 2020, entrance pricing for the irrigation system is 90 CNY per person; Children under 1.1 m (1.1 m not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; Children between 1.1m (1.1m included) and 1.4 (1.4m not included) and the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 45 CNY per person.
- Please don’t believe someone who can offer cheaper transfer to the irrigation system.
- Please get the ticket at the official ticket office.
- The area offers the shuttle bus.