Dehang Miao Village – natural scenery mixed with Miao ethnic minority cultures
Last Update: 6th October 2020
What is Dehang Miao Village ?
Located some 180 kilometers southwest of Zhangjiajie and 24 kilometers from Jishou, Dehang is directly translated as “amazing valley”. The Dehang Miao Village is located in Western Hunan Province and hidden in a deep valley with spectacular surrounding views!
The Miao Ethnic Minority Villagers have lived here undisturbed for hundreds of years., meaning their culture and customs have been well-preserved. Visitors travel to Dehang Miao Village to enjoy the scenic views, explore the village and get a brief understanding of local life and the Miao ethnic minority culture.
Dehang Miao Village Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Dehang (德夯)
- Area: approx.190 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Culture and Customs Explore
- Who visits: Photographers, Hikers, Ethnic Minority Culture and Customs Lovers
- Time required: 2-4 x hours
What to expect at Dehang Miao Village
Visitors to Hunan Province are always amazed at the natural landscape in Zhangjiajie, which became internationally famous after the motion picture Avatar was released. However, Hunan Province has many other attractions and things to do – from old towns to ethnic minority villages and other spectacular scenic attractions. Hunan Province has been home to the Tujia and Miao Ethnic minorities for hundreds of years.
Dehang Miao Village is a village home to the Miao Ethnic Minority people. Within the village, there are many cliffs, waterfalls, streams and forests for visitors to discover, making this a unique place to visit. Surrounded by thousands of mountains and waterfalls, the villages of Dehang and neighboring Aizhai as well as Jidouzhai are all home to this ethnic minority group.
The villages are usually hidden within the valley or built into the hillside, featuring stilted houses and carved windows, which are representative of the miao people who speak their own dialect and sing their own songs. Also, there are specific festivals such as the Miao New Year, Sisters Festival, Bull Fighting Festival and other season festivals according to the Chinese lunar calendar. If you have the opportunity to visit during a festival, we highly recommend it as the celebrations and festivities offer an incredible insight for outsiders and unique experience! Visitors to Dehang Miao Village, can see a representative show during their visit, as part of the entrance fee that contributes back to the village, if interested.
The best time to visit Dehang is from April to October as it is not too hot or too cold during this time of year. If you are interested to experience the local Miao ethnic minority customs and culture, it is suggested you visit Dehang during their festivals.
There is a tourist shuttle bus departing from Jishou Train Station to Dehang. Therefore, there are a few options for you:
- Rent a vehicle from Jishou or Zhangjiajie. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a train from Zhangjiajie, Changde or Changsha to Jishou Train Station. Then, take the tourist shuttle bus to Dehang. It takes about 1 hour to the scenic area.
- Take a bus from Fenghuang Bus Station to Dehang.
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 17:30
- As at 6th October 2020, entrance pricing to Dehang Scenic Area is 100 CNY per person; children under 1.2m (1.2m not included) are free of charge.
- The Miao Wedding Show: 10:00 – 10:40; Miao Customs Show: 15:00 – 15:40; Miao Costumes Show: 15:00 – 15:40; Miao Singing and Dancing Gala: 19:30 on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in summer and 18:30 on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in winter. Miao Singing and Dancing Gala is not included in the entrance pricing to the area. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please do not step on the threshold of the houses.com)