Ciqikou Old Town – old town with a history of over 1,000 years
Last Update: 23rd October 2020
Originally built in the Song Dynasty (960 – 1279), Ci Qi Kou Old Town is located by Jialing River, Shapingba District, Chongqing. It is an important water and land terminal on the Jialing River. More than 10 streets are lined with the old buildings in the Ming (1368 – 1644) and Qing(1644 – 1912) Dynasties styles.
- Chinese Name: Ciqikou Guzhen (磁器口古镇)
- Area: 1.5 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Chinese Old Culture, Religious Culture, Architecture, Cuisine
- Who visits: Architects, Foodies, Hikers, Adventurers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Ciqikou Old Town is dotted with old buildings in the style of the mountain houses in East Sichuan. Bayu House Hall demonstrates the essence of the buildings in the town. Originally completed in 1890, Zhong’s Courtyard is a fusion of the courtyard in North China and the elegance of the house in South China. In the courtyard, the old beds and tables in the Ming and Qing Dynasties are well-preserved.
Transformed into a ceramics hall, Baoshan Taoist Temple with the exhibits introduces the history of the cultural development of the ceramics and the old town. Another well-known Taoist temple is called Wenchang Palace. Originally built in the Western Wei Dynasty (535 – 556), Baolun Temple was said that no one iron nail was used in the construction. If you are interested in the Sichuan Opera, it is recommended that you visit Shuchang Tea House where you can appreciate the opera and other folk art with a cup of local tea.
Moreover, during the traditional holidays, such as the Spring Festival, Tomb-Sweeping Day, Dragon Boat Festival, Chinese Valentine’s Day, and Mid-Autumn Festival, different types of festive activities are always held in Ci Qi Kou Old Town. In addition, the town is also a paradise for foodies as it features a variety of Sichuan and local food.
The best time to visit Ci Qi Kou Old Town is in the morning or in the evening.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
The Metro Line 1 can take you to the town from Chongqing City. Thus, there are 2 options.
- Rent a vehicle to the old town from Chongqing. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Metro Line 1 to the Stop of Ci Qi Kou.
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 23rd October 2020, visitors can enter the town for free.
- It is suggested that you bring sunglasses with you if you are planning to visit the town between April and September as the sun is usually strong in Chongqing.
- It is not recommended that you explore the town during the holidays.