Last Update: 23rd October 2020
Located in Yangjia Ping, Longpo District, Chongqing Zoo covers an area of 45 hectares. It is composed of children playground, the bird and poultry area, central leisure area, primate area, raptor area, herbivore area, popular science area and back-mountain leisure area. There are 11 raptor halls in the zoo.
- Chinese Name: Chongqing Dongwuyuan (重庆动物园)
- Area: 45 hectares
- Things to do there: Hiking, Photography, Animals
- Who visits: Adventurers, Photographers
- Time required: 3 – 4 hours
Chongqing Zoo is dotted with various species of plants. The main halls there include amphibious animal, orangutan, goldfish, panda, hippo, giant panda and penguin halls. The zoo features giant pandas, lesser pandas, Sichuan takins, argali sheep, South China Tigers, clouded leopards, golden cats, Asian elephants, Chinese softshell turtles, Giant Asian pond turtles, Hyacinth Macaw, flamingos, alpacas, raccoon, porcupine, etc.
In addition, the zoo is fitted with a roller rink, a reading room, restaurants and a plantation. The science classroom next to the children playground offers a great chance to children to watch the animal science films, experience hand-cut paper and mask painting activities. Specimen are on display in the room as well.
The best time to visit Chongqing Zoo is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from May to October.
Several buses pass by the zoo. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the zoo from Chongqing City. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 204, 207, 226, 362, 229, 275, 298, 310, 341, 413, 416 and Bus 419 to the Stop of Zoo (动物园站).
- Opening hours: 08:30 – 17:00
- As at 23rd October 2020, the entrance pricing to the zoo is 25 CNY per person between January and November; in December, the entrance pricing is 20 CNY per person. Children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- It is not suggested to visit the zoo in the afternoon as most of the animals are inactive.