Last Update: 23rd October 2020
Chongqing Hot Pot is acclaimed as the top 1 food in Chongqing and even around Sichuan Province. It is the most popular among locals and tourists in Chongqing. It originates from the dock culture at the confluence of Yangtze River and Jialing River in Chongqing.
- Chinese Name: Chongqing Huoguo (重庆火锅)
- Main Ingredients: Cattle Tripe, Pig Trachea, Beef, Duck Intestines
- Who enjoys: Foodies, Photographers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
In the early Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1912), Chongqing Hot Pot appeared at Chaotianmen Dock. There are a variety of Chongqing Hot Pot to have a try, Cattle Stomach Hot Pot, Beer Duck Hot Pot, Chili Chicken Hot Pot, Beef Hot Pot, Fish Hot Pot, Sheep Hot Pot, etc.
The traditional soup of Chongqing Hot Pot is cooked with chili, Sichuan Pepper, ginger, and fermented soy beans. Nowadays, different tastes of soup appear to meed the different needs of the guests. You could try seafood soup, beer soup, pickled Chinese cabbage soup, and the like. The number of the soup is up to 30.
The main seasonings of Chongqing Hot Pot are chili, Sichuan Ground Pepper, ginger, beef tallow, garlic, sesame oil and so on. When meat is boiled in the pot, you pick it outside and put them in the small plate filled with seasonings. You could pick what seasonings you like into the plate based on your preferences.
You also could add what you are interested to try and some vegetables, such as tofu, chipped potato, Chinese Yam, broccoli, carrot, cabbage, lotus root, white gourd, bean sprout, and vegetables in season to your menu.
- Zhoushixiong Dadao Yaopian Hot Pot (周师兄大刀腰片火锅);
- Yudashi Old Hot Pot (渝大狮老火锅) which usually offers the lion dancing show to guests;
- Renpopo Surou Hot Pot (仁婆婆酥肉火锅);
- adaotang Chongqing Lu School Hot Pot (Nanshan – 巴倒烫重庆陆派火锅(南山店);
- Pei Sister Old Hot Pot (Hongya Cave – 珮姐老火锅(洪崖洞店) featuring the distinctive 9 tastes of soup in one pot which are divided;
- Daduizhang Nanshan Huayuan Hot Pot (大队长南山花园火锅);
- Luxiaozhang Old Hot Pot (Guanyin Bridge -卤校长老火锅(观音桥店) creating the pot-stewed fowl hot pot in Chongqing;
- Yangma’er Hot Pot (Ciqikou – 洋马儿火锅(磁器口店);
- Yunyuxuan Yunnan Steamed in Stone Pan (云鱼轩云南蒸汽石锅鱼) great for those who love fish; and
- Shiji Jiyi Old Hot Pot (Hongya Cave – 史记记忆老火锅(洪崖洞总店).