Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art - Rock Murals from 2,500 years ago!
Last Update: 18th June 2019
What is the Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art?
Located 180 kilometers southwest from Nanning, Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art is the largest, the richest and the best preserved Rock Murals in China. It was declared a “World Cultural Heritage” site by UNESCO in July 15, 2016.
Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art Fast Facts
What to expect at the Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art
Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art is located in the Zuojiang River and its tributary Mingjiang River Basin in Chongzuo City, Guangxi Province (including the areas of Ningming County, Longzhou County, Jiangzhou District, and Fusui County of Chongzuo City. The rock art, the mountains where the rock art is , rivers, and terraces form a splendid Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art cultural landscape, including about 105 kilometers of Zuojiang River and Mingjiang River.
The lowest rock painting is 30 meters from the bottom of the river. The highest one is more than 90 meters from the bottom of the river. There are more than 1,900 images preserved well in the cliff, including figures, animals and tool. The biggest figure is more than 2 meters high while the smallest one is just between 20 and 30 centimeters tall.
These rock paintings were drawn from the pigment which was made of hematite and animal glue, animal blood. So far, scientists haven’t found how the ancient Tuoyue People created the amazing paintings in the steep cliffs without any modern tools or machines about 2,500 years ago. Why the pigment is still so bright for 2,500 years and how the Tuoyue People made the special pigment remain unknown as well.
In addition, primary forests, and Zhuang minority villages near the rock art in the Huashan Scenic Area are worth exploring.
Best time to visit the Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art
The best time to visit Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art is from April to October. It is suggested that visitors visit it on fine days due to the special nature of the rock art.
How to get to the Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art
As Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art is in the Ningming Countryside, there is no direct bus from Nanning or Ningming to Huashan Mountain. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle departing from either Nanning or Ningming to Tuolongqiao Dock (驮龙桥码头). Then take a boat to Huashan Mountain. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- If you depart from Nanning, take a bus from Langdong Bus Station (琅东客运站) and Jiangnan Bus Station (江南客运站) to Ningming. Then rent a local minibus to Tuolongqiao Dock. At last, take a boat to Huashan Mountain.
- If you depart from Nanning, you can take a train to Ningming. Then rent a local minibus to Tuolongqiao dock. At last, take a boat to Huashan Mountain
Additional Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art Travel Advice
- Visitors must take a boat from Tuolongqiao dock to Huashan Mountain to explore the rock art.
- It takes some 2 hours to Huashan Mountain from the dock by boat.
- As at 18th June 2019, there are 2 cruise boats owned by the cruise companies offering the round-trip journey. One cruise boat departs at 12:30pm and the other one departs at 15:30pm. The entrance pricing is 35 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Visitors also can charter a private boat offering the round-trip journey to/from Huashan Mountain from/to the dock. As at 18th June 2019, the pricing for chartering a private boat is 80 CNY in total. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com).