Zhengyang Walking Street – the oldest and busiest pedestrian street in Guilin
What is Zhengyang Walking Street?
Zhengyang Pedestrian Street, also known as Zhengyang Walking Street, is a popular shopping and tourist destination located in the city of Guilin, China. The street is situated in the heart of the city’s historic district and is lined with a variety of shops, restaurants, and street vendors.
Zhengyang Walking Street Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Zhengyang Buxingjie (正阳步行街)
- Length: 660 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Shopping, Waking, Food
- Who visits: Photographers, Shopping Lovers, Foodies, Chinese Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 x hour
Interested in visiting Zhengyang Walking Street on a Private Tour in Guilin?
What to expect at Zhengyang Walking Street?
Zhengyang Walking Street was rebuilt in October, 1999 and was opened to the public in January 2001. Some of the buildings along the street feature the Han (202 – 8 BC and 25 BC – 220 AD) and Tang Dynasties styles. Others are in the classic European and Japanese styles.
As many locals visit the street, you could experience the local life. If interested, you could purchase some of the local handmade desserts, such as sweet-scented osmanthus cakes, taro cakes and other cakes made of local specialties. Monk fruit is a type of low sugar fruit. It is a little sweet. Those who are suffering from hyperglycemia also can eat it. Some locals just wander on the street, some enjoy eating the delicious snacks and some hold several shopping bags in the hand.
In the middle of the street stands a bell tower which is 17.5 meters tall. On the top are several clocks telling the time. On the end of the street, there are many stalls selling local handicrafts, such as embroidered balls, silk clothes dyed with the landmarks in Guilin – the Li River, the Elephant Trunk Hill, cormorant fishing, the Chinese oil paintings with Guilin’s landscape, painting fans, and so on. If you could speak a little Mandarin, you could practice your bargaining skills with the peddlers.
Best time to visit Zhengyang Walking Street
If you are planning to visit the street for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the evening. If you are interested to meet the needs of your stomach, the best time is from 12:00 pm on.
The best months to enjoy are from April to October.
How to get to Zhengyang Walking Street
- Rent a vehicle to the street. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 10, 11, 91, 3, 30, 203, 206, 24, 14, and Bus 18 to the Stop of Liberation Bridge (解放桥站). Then, walk to the street.
Additional Zhengyang Walking Street Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 18th January 2023, it is free of charge as it’s a central walking street lined with shops in Guilin City.
- Please take care of your valuables especially in the evening as it is always crowed on the street.