Zhangye Rainbow Mountains - large Danxia landform area in Zhangye
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Located around 40 kilometers from Zhangye, Zhangye Rainbow Mountains at Zhangye National GeoPark lies at Nantai Village, Nijiaying, Linze County, Gansu. It is typical of the colorful Danxia and window lattice and palace-style Danxia in China. Zhangye Rainbow Mountains is composed of Qicai Danxia Scenic Area and Binggou Danxia Scenic Area. In the hilly area of the 100-square-meter, Danxia landform is unique, and colorful, presenting us a feeling of magnificence.
Zhangye Rainbow Mountains Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Zhangye Caihongshan(张掖彩虹山)
- Area: more than 510 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Geology
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Geologists
- Time required: 4 – 5 x hours
What to expect at the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains
Danxia refers to isolated peaks and steep rock formations formed by long-term weathering and water erosion of red glutenite. The Danxia landform at Zhangye Rainbow Mountains is developed from the pre-Jurassic to the Tertiary Period which is about 2 million years from now. Zhangye Rainbow Mountains is a feast for eyes and souls, letting you feel that you are in an oil painting.
The colored lines follow the ups and downs of the landscape, making people feel like they are in a colorful dream. Various colors on the mountains are alternating naturally, the rock wall is steep, and mountains are in different shapes, making a breathtaking view. On different weather and at different time of the day, colors also change. The mountains look like colorful towers, colorful screens, colorful belts, colorful lakes, and colorful scallops. The colored mountains create a sea of fire as well. In addition, you could see some bushes on the mountain or at the canyon if you observe carefully.
The colorful mountains in the sun always offer the most amazing views. Colors are fairly bright on sunny days, which is ideal for photographing. After rain, the colored mountains will be more gorgeous, presenting a new look. If the sun follows the rain, water drops will glitter on the mountains.
Best time to visit the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains
If you are planning to visit Zhangye Rainbow Mountains for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the morning, afternoon and during the sunset on sunny days.
The best months to visit are from June to September.
How to get to the Zhangye Rainbow Mountains
As Zhangye Rainbow Mountains is situated at Zhangye National GeoPark, you need to get to the park at first. There are Zhangye National Geopark Expresses from Zhangye to the park. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the park from Zhangye. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Zhangye National Geopark Express from Zhangye West Bus Station (张掖汽车西站). The route is 张掖汽车西站 – 丹霞. The first bus runs at 07:30 and the last runs at 17:00 from Zhangye West Bus Station. Also, the return bus runs at 08:10 and the last runs at 18:10 from Danxia back to Zhangye.
Additional Zhangye Rainbow Mountains Travel Advice
- Opening hours for Qicai Danxia Scenic Area: 06:00 – 18:00 (April 11 – May 4); 05:30 – 19:00 (May 5 – August 31); 06:30 – 18:00 (September 1 -30); 06:30 – 17:30 (October 1 – 7); 06:30 – 18:00 (October 8 – 31); 07:30 – 17:00 (November 1 – December 31)
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to Qicai Danxia Scenic Area (including the entrance and the shuttle bus) is 74 CNY per person, the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) and the children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge.
- Opening hours for Binggou Danxia Scenic Area: 06:00 – 22:00 (May 1- October 10); 07:00 – 19:00 (October 11 – April 30)
- The entrance pricing to Binggou Danxia Scenic Area (including entrance ticket and the shuttle bus) is 60 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) are free of charge.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Please take enough food with drinking water with you.
- If you plan to get to the Rainbow Mountains very early and stay there for several hours, it is recommended that you take enough warm clothes as the temperature difference between the morning and the afternoon is big.
- Please bring Please wear the sunscreen cream and sun glasses even in winter.
- Please take body lotion, lip balm, and hand cream as it is always dry in Zhangye.