Zhangye Dafo Temple - featuring the largest reclining Buddha in China
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Originally built in 1098, Zhangye Dafo Temple is situated in the southwest of Zhangye. It is an important historical and cultural building complex along the Silk Road. The temple is also the landmark building of Zhangye. The public can visit Dafo Temple built in the West Xia Dynasty (1038 – 1227), the Wanshoumu Pagoda in the Sui Dynasty (518 – 619), the Amitabha Thousand Buddha Tower in the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644), the Bell and Drum Tower, and the Shanxi Guild Hall in the Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1912).
Zhangye Dafo Temple Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Zhangye Dafosi (张掖大佛寺)
- Area: 2.3 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Buddhism, Nature
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at Zhangye Dafo Temple
Zhangye Dafo Temple offers an archway-style mountain gate, Hall of Four Heavenly Kings, the Guanci Hall, Guo Hall, Pei Hall and the main hall where the largest reclining clay Buddha is located. At the main hall, you can also explore the statues of arhats. More than 6,000 volumes of Buddhist scriptures are well-preserved at scripture library. The main hall is a two-story building. With an area of 1,770 square meters, it is 33 meters tall.
There is a 33.37-meter-high earthen pagoda behind the temple. It is one of the five element pagodas of Zhangye. The temple offers a stone stele, a bronze Buddha, a bronze mirror, a copper pot, Buddhist scriptures, and a lead stele found in the stomach of the reclining Buddha in 1966 to explore.
Best time to visit Zhangye Dafo Temple
The best time to visit Zhangye Dafo Temple is in the morning during the opening hours.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to Zhangye Dafo Temple
There are several buses passing by Zhangye Dafo Temple. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the temple. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16 and Bus 23 to the Stop of Dafosi (大佛寺站) or the Stop of Nanchengxiangkuo (南城巷口站).
Additional Zhangye Dafo Temple Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 18:00
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the temple is 41 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 21 CNY per person; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Please take enough warm clothes as the temperature difference in Zhangye especially in winter is big.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sun glasses even in winter.
- Please take body lotion, lip balm, and hand cream as it is always dry in Zhangye.