Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon - the canyon with the world famous, Glass Bridge
Last Update: 6th October 2020
What is Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon?
Located in Cili County, Zhangjiajie Area, Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon features the longest and tallest glass bridge in the world. In addition, it offers various natural beauty, including valleys, lakes, wildlife, primary forest as well as a 600-meters-long slide.
Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon on a Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon
There are numerous waterfalls and springs in Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Scenic Area. With fresh air, the canyon is rich in vegetation, offering comfortable and relaxing environment, and the stream there is covered with haze on the surface. Along the stream is a boardwalk. Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon offers not only the natural scenery, but also historical and cultural landscape throughout three dynasties, such as the ancient battlefield where the armies of Li Zicheng (李自成) and Wu Sangui (吴三桂) fought with one another fiercely. And you will also find the Bandits Cave (土匪洞) typical of Xiangxi’s history and some buildings which have witnessed the hard work by the people of Xiangxi in the early 1950s, such as the "Southern Red Flag Canal".
Visitors also can enjoy bungee jumping on the longest and tallest glass bridge in the world, ziplining and Norkley Slide in the area. The Norkley Slide was built on the hillside between the “A Strip of Sky” (一线天) and the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It is approximately 600 meters long. The duration for sliding is 3-5 minutes. Built between the Grand Canyon Glass Experimental Bridge and the Viewpoint of Yilian Meng Meng (一帘幽梦观景点), the zip line is 190 meters long and its height difference is 21 meters. It is powered by tourists' gravity alone without any auxiliary power.
Best time to visit Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon
The best time to visit Zhangjiajie Glass Bridge is from April to October as it is not too hot or too cold during this period of time. April and October is the two best months to visit the bridge.
How to get to Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon
Visitors can take the shuttle bus at Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station (张家界中心汽车站) or Wulingyuan Bus Station to the canyon. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle from Zhangjiajie City to the canyon. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a flight to Zhangjiajie airport from Guilin, Beijing, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xi’an and other cities. Then, take Bus 4 or rent a car to the Central Bus Station to take the shuttle bus (Route: 中心汽车站 - 江垭温泉 ). Please let the driver know that you will get off at the Great Canyon CarPark (大峡谷停车场). At last, take the shuttle bus of the canyon to the ticket office for the canyon. This shuttle bus is free of charge. Alternatively, take the shuttle bus from the Central Bus Station to Wulingyuan Bus Station. Transfer to the bus for the Great Canyon. The bus ends at the ticket office for the canyon.
- Take a train to Zhangjiajie train station from Guangzhou, Nanning, Shenzhen, Wuchang and other cities. Then, walk to the Central Bus Station to take the shuttle bus (Route: 中心汽车站 -江垭温泉 ). Please let the driver know that you will get off at the Great Canyon CarPark (大峡谷停车场). At last, take the shuttle bus of the canyon to the ticket office for the canyon. This shuttle bus is free of charge. Alternatively, take the shuttle bus from the Central Bus Station to Wulingyuan Bus Station. Transfer to the bus for the Great Canyon. The bus ends at the ticket office for the canyon.
Additional Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:30 - 18:00
- As at 6th October 2020, Line C: the admission to the glass bridge alone: 168 CNY per person. Opening time: 16:20 - 17:30; 17:40 - 18:30. Line B: the admission to the bridge and the canyon: 259 CNY per person. Opening time: 06:30 - 09:00; 09:00 - 11:30; 11:30 - 14:00; 14:00 - 16:00. Only children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) are free of charge for the glass bridge. Admission fee to Norkley Slide is 25 CNY per person (not included in the admission to the Grand Canyon Scenic Area). Admission fee to ziplining is 30 CNY per person (not included in the admission to the Grand Canyon Scenic Area). For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Be sure to bring your passports with you at the entrance.
- Up to 10,000 visitors are allowed to enter the canyon area in one day.
- As at 6th October 2020, the following items are not allowed to bring when tourists visit the glass bridge: liquid substances such as snacks, beverages and mineral water, water cups (including thermos cups, glasses), crutches, cameras, video cameras, drones, IPAD, computers, tripods, pets, flammable and explosive materials, poisonous products, corrosives, radioactive materials, lighters and other fires, metal hard objects, other hard objects weighing more than 250 grams, controlled knives, guns, weapons, and oversized handbags and backpacks, etc.
- Those who are drunk and physically disabled,suffer from mental disorder, heart diseases, depression, acrophobia, and wear high heels are not allowed to visit the canyon.
- For the safety of you and others, except for small-sized carry-on bags (wallets, handbags, purses) and mobile phones with protective covers, other items must not be taken with you. Items that cannot be carried on the bridge can be stored in the left-luggage office.