Yunnan Railway Museum - locomotive focused museum in Kunming
Opened to the public in 2004, Yunnan Railway Museum mainly presents us the development history of the railway in Kunming, especially the cultural relics of the meter-gage railway. With an area of 7,963 square meters, the museum offers an exhibition area of 5,155 square meters. You will know about the development of the railway in Yunnan in the recent 100 years.
- Chinese Name: Yunnan Tielu Bowuguan (云南铁路博物馆)
- Area: 7,963 x square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Trains, History of the Trains in Yunnan
- Who visits: Photographers, Railway Engineers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Interested in visiting the Yunnan Railway Museum on a Yunnan Tour?
The Yunnan Railway Museum consists of the South Hall and the North Hall. The South Hall is based on the French classical architecture of the Old Yunnan Provincial Railway Station (云南府站). The North Hall is a combination of the elements of the modern high-speed rail station. A railway steel bridge is connected between the two halls. The three station tracks across the Kunming North Train Station connect the museum with the station as a whole.
At the museum, you will see “Michelin” internal combustion train with rubber wheels. The 16-meters-long Michelin train offers a washroom, a toilet, a kitchen and a dining room with deluxe decoration. The 2.4-meter-wide steam locomotive, the old narrow-gauge luggage post train made in 1919, the narrow-gauge wooden train made in 1919, the narrow-gauge box wagon made in 1930 in America, MK51 meter-gauge steam locomotive, KD55 meter-gauge steam locomotive and other gears for checking the train, such as an theodolite made in America in the 19th century and Maureen level made in France in 1901.
In addition, a wide variety of train attendant uniforms from the 19th century to the present are on display at the museum. If interested, you could try the meter-gauge train. The 40-kilometers-long journey takes around 2 hours.
Best time to visit the Yunnan Railway Museum
The best time to visit the museum is in the morning during the opening hours.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Yunnan Railway Museum
A few buses pass by the museum which is close to Kunming North Train Station. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the museum. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 3, 23, 61, 71 and Bus 236 to the Stop of North Train Station (火车北站).
Additional Yunnan Railway Museum Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 16:00 (Wednesday – Sunday). The museum is closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- As at 26th November 2019, the entrance pricing to the museum is 10 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- If you would like to experience the old meter-gauge train, the entrance pricing is 2 CNY per person.
- Please keep quiet at the museum.
- Flammable and explosive materials are prohibited to be taken into the museum.
- Visitors are not allowed to enter the old trains on display.
Interested in visiting the Yunnan Railway Museum on a Tour?