Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area - a combination of rivers, valleys, forests & caves
With cool and pleasant climate, Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area is located 90 kilometers from Kunming. The main landscape there is caves offering stalactites in various shapes. The caves were developed in the Sinian period 600 million years ago. The area offers more than 100 large and small caves to explore. The caves are acclaimed as “Karst Caves Museum”.
- Chinese Name: Yiliang Jiuxiang Fengjingqu (宜良九乡风景区)
- Number of Caves: over 100
- Things to do there: Photography, Caves, Geology
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Geologists
- Time required: 3 – 4 x hours
Interested in visiting Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area on a Yunnan Tour?
There are several main spots at Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area, Yincui Valley, Male Lion Hall, Goddess Cave, Twin Waterfalls, Fairy Field Stone Lake, and Bat Cave. At first, you will enjoy boating at Yincui Valley. The cruise lasts for some 10 minutes. The valley is 600 meters long. Then, you will explore several caves on foot. The most amazing cave is the Male Lion Hall with an area of 15,000 square meters. The cave can contain more than 10,000 visitors.
The Goddess Cave is typical of karst underground scenery. The stalactites there present different shapes. Some look like seated fairies and sleeping fairies. Some look as if two fairies hug each other. Water of the Twin Waterfalls at one cave flies down to the pond under the waterfalls from the cliff with a height of more than 30 meters. Covering an area of around 100 square meters, the Fairy Field Stone Lake offers stones in the unique shapes to admire. The lake is up to 10 meters deep. The stalactites at the Bat Cave are hanging upside down. These irregular stalactites feature a large inclination. With the bright light at the caves, the stalactites demonstrate their charm to the fullest.
At the end of the tour, you will climb up hundreds of stone stairs to the top to take a cable car. The cable way is around 1,000 meters long, spanning the caves and the natural beauty.
Best time to visit the Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area
The best time to visit Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area is in the morning as it always takes 3 hours to explore the main spots.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area
There are direct buses from Kunming Hotel (昆明饭店) to Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area. Therefore, you could rent a vehicle or take a direct bus to the scenic area.
Additional Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 18:00
- As at 18th October 2020, the entrance pricing to Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area is 120 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) are free of charge.
- The ticket for the direct round-trip bus from Kunming Hotel to the scenic area (including the entrance to the scenic area, the entrance to the boat, and entrance to the one-way cable car) is 238 CNY per person; For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The round-trip bus to Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area starts at 08:30 from Kunming Hotel. Please get to the gate of Kunming Hotel 15 minutes at least prior to the time of 08:30.
- The round-trip bus back to Kunming Hotel starts at 14:30 from the entrance of the scenic area.
Interested in visiting Yiliang Jiuxiang Scenic Area on a Tour?