Yihe Road Residence Area - Republican era houses in Nanjing, China
Yihe Road Residence Area is a high-end residential area provided by the Republic of China government to government officials in the 1930s. Since 1933, 287 independent garden residences have been successively completed. Nowadays 225 of the residences in the Republic of China are still well-preserved. Green area of the courtyard reaches up to 65%.
- Chinese Name: Nanjing Yihelu Gongguanqu (南京颐和路公馆区)
- Area: 6.9 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, History and Culture, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Architects
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Interested in visiting the Yihe Road Residence Area on a Tour?
Marshall Residence is the only one structure with the traditional Chinese style in the area. At the very beginning, it was the villa built by Jincheng Bank. Later, the then foreign minister purchased it and finally, it became the former residence of Marshall. You’ll find old office of embassies, Australia, the Soviet Union, Italy, Canada and Brazil, and legations of Switzerland, Pakistan,and the Vatican.
Best time to visit the Yihe Road Residence Area
The best time to visit the area is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to Yihe Road Residence Area
A few buses pass by the area. Thus, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the Jiangsu Road, part of the area and where the entrances to the area are located. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 8, 42, 74, or Bus 78 to the Stop of Jiangsu Road (江苏路站).
Additional Yihe Road Residence Area Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 15th October 2020, tourists can visit the area for free.
- Five entrances to the area are all situated on Jiangsu Road.
- Some of the mansions there are privately owned.
Interested in visiting the Yihe Road Residence on a Tour?