Yen Minh – Dong Van Pass – offers stunning natural beauty & ethnic minorities
Last Update: 24th October 2020
Yen Minh – Dong Van Pass takes you to experience the hidden beauty and distinctive cultures of the ethnic minorities in the northernmost part of Vietnam. Along the pass, you’ll be amazed at the natural beauty, surprised at the barren rocky mountains and shocked at the rice terraces around the mountains.
Yen Minh Dong Van Pass Fast Facts
- Name: Yen Minh Dong Van Pass
- Length of Pass: around 40 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Vietnamese History, Experience Local Ethnic Minority and Local Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Adventure Lovers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Yen Minh – Dong Van Pass twists around the Dong Van Plateau for nearly 40 kilometers. Overcoming the bad natural environment, locals created the rice terraces to plant corn and rice to live on.
The QL4C along the pass can take you to Yen Minh. At the beginning of the pass, the views changes a lot. Along the pass, you’ll see locals doing their daily farming work on the rice terraces. Some in the ethnic costumes walk on the road. Some children are playing on the field. If you are planning to explore the pass in spring, you may be immerse yourself in the colorful wild flowers on the mountain.
After you ride some section, rocky and barren mountains will come in your sight, which makes a great contrast to the first section of the pass. The section is winding and steep. Please take care of the road. It is not suggested to drive or ride fast as some motorbikes or cars may appear suddenly. Around the pass is dotted with exciting rocky formation. If interested, you could stop over for taking photos. The pass will lead you to the border with China.
Some section of the pass is close to ethnic minority villages while some is just rocky mountains. So, you could explore one or two villages en-route if you have enough time.
The best time to visit Yen Minh – Dong Van Pass is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
The only option is to rent a vehicle to explore Yen Minh – Dong Van Pass.
- Please take enough clothes with you if you want to explore the pass in spring, autumn, and winter.
- Please take enough food and drinking water with you.
- Please get the permission from locals in advance if you’d like to take photos of them.
- Please wear comfortable hiking shoes.