Yaozizhai - an 'off-the-beaten-track' area of Zhangjiajie National Park
Last Update: 11th November 2019
What is Yaozizhai?
Located in the northeast of Zhangjiejie National Forest Park, Yaozizhai Mountain is around 1,050 meters tall. Few of visitors, especially Chinese tourists, explore the mountain due to its steepness.
Yaozizhai Fast Facts
Interested in visiting Yaozizhai during a Zhangjiajie Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Yaozizhai, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at Yaozizhai
Yaozizhai Mountain is situated in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park. It takes about 6 hours to hike the whole tour route to the mountain. There is no other transportation method except with foot to explore the mountain. The trails here are very characteristic. There are "mushrooms", "footprints", "quincuncial piles" and "staff" made of stones. What is more distinctive is that the attractions here were all named by the Generals of the Chinese People's Liberation Army. Yaozizhai Area is the largest scenic area in Wulingyuan with the most scenic spots and the most tour routes.
Yaozizhai offers five tour routes, including Baiying Valley, Top of Village, Pine Ridge, Dove Tree Bay and Valley of Flowers, with more than 100 attractions. Attractions such as the Heaven Bridge, Laoyingzui, the Rabbit Looks at the Moon and so on have long been famous overseas, while more than 80 new spots in the area are newly open to visitors, such as Paishan Daohai, Lingkong Jinghun, Shenxian Cave, Bihai Songhua etc.
Best time to visit Yaozizhai
If you are planning to visit Yaozizhai for photography purposes, you can visit it around the year as it presents different stunning views in 4 seasons. Generally speaking, it is recommended that you visit it in April, May, September and October for the four months are not too hot or too cold.
How to get to Yaozizhai
Yaozizhai Mountain is closest to National Forest Park Ticket Station. After entering the station, walk forward for 5 minutes. Arrive at Oxygen Square (氧吧广场). Continue walking by the big iron concentric lock and you will see the gate of Yaozizhai. There are the tourists bus from Zhangjiajie Bus Station to National Forest Ticket Station. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a car from Zhangjiajie airport, Zhangjiajie Train Station or Zhangjiajie Bus Station to the National Forest Park Ticket Station. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a flight to Zhangjiajie airport from Guilin, Beijing, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xi’an and other cities. Then, rent a car to Zhangjiejie Train Station to take the shuttle bus. It takes 40 minutes drive from the station to National Forest Park Ticket Station. Alternatively, rent a car to the ticket station.
- Take a train to Zhangjiajie train station from Guangzhou, Nanning, Shenzhen, Wuchang and other cities. Then, walk to the Zhangjiajie Bus Station to take the tourists bus. It takes 40 minutes drive from the station to National Forest Park Ticket Station. Alternatively, rent a car to the ticket station.
Additional Yaozizhai Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:00 - 18:00
- As Yaozizhai is located in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park which is part of Wulingyuan Scenic Area, visitors can enter the the park from National Park Ticket Station with the pass ticket for Wulingyuan Scenic Area. The pass ticket is valid in four days from the date when you get it ( For example, if the ticket is issued at 13:00 on Monday 9th July, 2018, the ticket is valid by 13:00 on Friday 13th July, 2018). You could take a complimentary eco-friendly car with the pass ticket. With the pass ticket, you can visit all the four scenic areas mentioned above and can enter the Wulingyuan from one of five entrances at the five ticket stations.
- After entering the ticket station, walk forward for 5 minutes. Arrive at Oxygen Square (氧吧广场). Climb the stone steps on the left. If your condition is unfit for climbing, please take the shuttle bus in the area with your pass ticket to the lower station of the cable car for Yellowstone Village.
- As at 11th November 2019, admission fee which is applied between March 1st and November 30th plus the Spring Festival is as follows. Admission fee to Wulingyuan Area is 248 CNY per adult (including the insurance); Children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) and the elders above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge whilst these people are charged 68 CNY per person for the eco-friendly car(including insurance); Children between 1.3m (1.3m included) and 1.5m (1.5m not included) are charged 163 CNY per person(including insurance); The elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old ( 70 years old not included) are charged 168 CNY per person (including insurance)
- As at 11th November 2019, admission fee which is applied between December 1st and February 28th/29th is as follows. Admission fee to Wulingyuan Area is 126 CNY per adult (including the insurance). Notes: The area can be closed because of the snow in winter.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- It is recommended that you take an umbrella with you when visiting the Wulingyuan Scenic Area in Zhangjiajie.
- If you plan to visit the area in summer, you’d better take the sunscreen, floral water, sunglasses, band-aid and hats. Please remember to wear antiskid hiking shoes.
- During the National Day Festival of China, Spring Festival and the summer holiday, pricing for hotels and restaurants also goes up as they are the peak season in China.
- The ticket offices of most scenic spots offer luggage storage service.
- Be sure not to explore the areas marked with "No Passing" and "Dangerous" .
- The mountain road is wet and slippery in rainy days. In addition, rain and fog can also lead to unclear sight. Thus, it is not suggested that you risk climbing the mountain in the rain.