Xujiahui Catholic Church - one of the famous Catholic churches in China
Last Update: 8th October 2020
Located at No. 158, Puxi Road, Xujiahui, Xuhui District, Shanghai, Xujiahui Catholic Church was originally built in 1904 and completed in 1910. With clock towers with spires on either side of the top, the 5-storey building features Medieval Gothic style.
Xujiahui Catholic Church Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xujiahui Tianzhutang (徐家汇天主堂)
- Area: 6,670 square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Catholic, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, Architecture Learners, Catholic Believers
- Time required: 1 x Hour
Interested in visiting Xujiahui Catholic Church during a Shanghai Tour?
What to expect at Xujiahui Catholic Church
Xujiahui Catholic Church can accommodate 3,000 visitors. At the hall of the church, the Virgin Mary holds the little Jesus Christ, overlooking the whole church. The location is the heart of the church. You will explore the disco-shaped relief at the hall. Looking in the distance, the relief resembles a Roman clock.
The doors and windows are all in Gothic arches style, inlaid with stained glass and patterns and images of God. There is a huge circular flower window on the main wall, which is inlaid with colored glass. It is solemn.
If interested, you can admire the Mass in the morning. On Sundays and Catholic festivals, many Catholic believers always gather at the church. There are often large-scale ceremonies during the four major Catholic festivals, especially during the Christmas season.
Best time to visit Xujiahui Catholic Church
The best time to visit Xujiahui Catholic Church is in the morning if you want to experience the atmosphere of the Mass.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to Xujiahui Catholic Church
There are a few buses passing by the church. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the Great Wall of China (Mutianyu). This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 926, 957, 56, 43, 816, 712, 931 and 920 to the Stop of Xujiahui or the Stop of Xujiahui Road and Huangpo South Road (徐家汇路黄陂南路站).
- Take Metro Line 1 to the Stop of Xujiahui (徐家汇站). And go to the Exit 3.
Additional Xujiahui Catholic Church Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 11:00 and 13:00 – 16:00 (Monday – Saturday); 14:00 – 16:00 (Sunday).
- Time for Mass: 16:30 (Children Mass) and 18:00 on Saturdays; 07:00 (Mass by the Bishop), 10:00 (Sunday Mass) and 18:00 on Sundays.
- Admission fee: free.
- Tourists are required to visit the church with the tickets. The tickets can be collected at the Tourists Center for free.
- Please keep quiet at the church.
- Please do not wear shorts and miniskirts at the church.
Interested in visiting Xujiahui Catholic Church on a Tour?