Last Update: 9th October 2020
With an area of 11.5 x square kilometers, Xixi National Wetland Park lies around 5 kilometers west of West Lake. You can enjoy stunning natural views and explore several local villages at the park.
- Chinese Name: Xixi Guojia Shidi Gongyuan (西溪国家湿地公园)
- Area: 11.5 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Adventure, Nature
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 – 3 x Hours
Xixi National Wetland Park offers several old buildings to explore. Looking in the distance, Bo’an Cottage is just like floating on the water. It is the property of Zou Xiaozhi at early Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1912). The traditional screen in the middle of the cottage with the old furniture creates for a quiet environment for reading, drinking and appreciating views.
Water pavilion is one of the highlight in the park. It stands adjacent to water. In ancient times, locals built the structure in order to save earth and commute. At the pavilion, you can admire the rolling green mountains in the distance and the willow at the bank in spring.
Covering an area of 55 hectares, Wetland Botanical Garden presents wetland plants in the ecological diversity of pond systems, rivers, beaches, etc. There are more than 600 species of wetland plants in the garden, including more than 100 species of arbors, nearly 250 species of wet shrub cover plants, more than 150 species of emergent aquatic plants, more than 30 species of floating plants, more than 50 species of floating-leaved plants, and more than 30 types of submerged plants.
Between late winter and early spring, the park is decorated with plum blossom in Meizhu Estate and Xixi Meishu. Fu, Lv, and Shou Causeways connect the entire park. At Shentankou, locals regularly hold the dragon boat race at the festival.
The best time to visit the park is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
Several buses pass by the park. Thus, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the park. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 436, K193, K356, 506, 586, or Bus 265 to the Stop of Xixi Shidi Zhoujiacun (西溪湿地周家村).
- Opening hours: 07:30 – 18:30 (April – October) and 08:00 – 17:30 (November – March)
- As at 9th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the park is 50 CNY per person; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.5m tall (1.5m tall not included) are charged 25 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old not included) and 70 years old (70 years old included) are charged 25 CNY per person; visitors are required to enter the park form the entrance of Wujiawan. The entrance ticket doesn’t include the boat or the shuttle bus in the park. For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please take care of your camera or cellphone when taking photos on the boat.