Xishuangbanna – home to the only tropical rain-forest reserve in China
Bordering Laos and Myanmar in the southeast, south and southwest, Xishuangbanna, short for Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture, features a tropical rainforest climate, creating a proper habitat for tropical animals. It is home to 13 nationalities, including Han, Dai, Zhuang, Miao, Bulang, Hui, Hani, Jinuo, Wa, Yi, Yao, Lahu and Jingpo people. Dai people are the most among the ethnic minorities in Xishuangbanna. Thus, you will experience the Dai culture even in every single corner of Xishuangbanna. The capital is Jinghong.
- Chinese Name: Xishuangbanna (西双版纳)
- Area: 19,582.45 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Biology, Adventure, Ethnic Folk Customs
- Who visits: Photographers, Biologists, Adventure Enthusiasts, Chinese History and Culture Lovers
- Time required: 3 – 4 x days
What to expect at Xishuangbanna
If you are interested in cultures of the ethnic minorities, you could explore Jinuo Mountain Village where you will experience the traditions and customs of Jinou people, Manzhang Village where Dai people live a simple life, Mandan Village – a secluded Dai village in a tropical rainforest, or Zhanglang Bulang Ethnic Minority Village – the only Bulang village across China. Compared to some old towns in Dali and Lijiang, the villagers are less underdeveloped.
To start with a tour in a place, the first thing before the tour there is to visit the museum to get a general knowledge of the place. Xishuangbanna Nationalities Museum is such a place to you to know some about the culture of the 13 nationalities in Xishuangbanna and the history and development of Xishuangbanna.
Xishuangbanna also offers several old temples to explore, such as Mengle Buddhist Temple, Manchunman Buddhist Temple, Mange Temple and Manfeilong Pagodas.
Best time to visit Xishuangbanna
The best months to visit are from October to June as it is the rainy season from May to October in Xishuangbanna.
How to get to Xishuangbanna
There are several airplanes to Xishuangbanna from the main cities around China, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Wuhan, Guangzhou, Guiyang, Hangzhou, Guilin, Xi’an, etc. There is no train station in Xishuangbanna for now while visitors can take direct buses from Kunming, Dali and Lijiang to Xishuangbanna. Please get to Xishuangbanna by air or by bus based on your schedule.
Additional Xishuangbanna Travel Advice
- If you would like to experience more about the Dai culture, it is suggested that you visit Xishuangbanna during their traditional festivals, such as Songkran of Dai people from the 13th to 15th of April, Gatangpa of Hani People from the 2nd to 4th of January, Haowasa of Bulang people in the mid-July and the New Year of Jinuo people from the 6th to 8th of February.
- It is the rainy season from May to October in Xishuangbanna.
- Please wear the sunscreen scream and sunglasses during the daytime even in winter as the sunshine is very strong in Xishuangbanna.
- It is suggested to take an umbrella or raincoat with you as it could be rainy and sunny in one day in Xishuangbanna.