Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden – largest botanical gardens in China
Located around 65 kilometers northeast of Xishuangbanna, Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden covers an area of 11.25 square kilometers, offering the richest species of plants in China. It is composed of 38 specialized botanical areas plus a primitive tropical rainforest. The botanical areas are also called the West Area while the rainforest is called the East Area.
Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xishuangbanna Redai Zhiwuyuan (西双版纳热带植物园)
- Area: 11.25 x square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Biology, Adventure, Ethnic Folk Customs
- Who visits: Photographers, Biologists, Adventure Enthusiasts, Chinese History and Culture Lovers
- Time required: 4 – 5 x hours
What to expect at Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden
The national trees and flowers garden is decorated with the national trees and flowers of tens of countries in the world, such as Delonix regia, the national flower of Madagascar, Ixora chinensis Lam – the national flower of Myanmar, Plumeria rubra – the national flower of Laos and more.
At the wild flowers garden of South Yunnan, you will see 250 species of wild endemic flowers in Yunnan. The wild orchid garden offers a great chance to you to appreciate attractive orchids, including Papilionanthe teres, Orchidaceae, Arundina graminifolia, Ornithochilus difformis and the like.
In addition, you will also admire 645 species of tropical flowers, 104 species of spices and various wild gingers in the garden, such as sandalwood, Peru balsam balmtree, Elsholtzia communis, Menghai sassafras, Siliquamomum tonkinense, Curcuma zedoaria and so on. If interested, you could visit the specimen room in the garden.
Best time to visit Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden
As it always takes 3 or 4 hours to explore the garden, it is suggested that you visit the garden in the morning.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden
There is no direct bus to the garden from Xishuangbanna. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the garden. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus from Jinghong Bus Station (景洪汽车客运站) or Kunming to Menglun (勐仑). Get off at Menglun Town or Menglun Bus Station. Then walk for 10 minutes to the suspension bridge. The garden is opposite the bridge
Additional Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 18:00
- As at 20th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the garden is 80 CNY per person; Children between 6 years old (6 years old included) and 18 years old (18 years old not included) are charged 40 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 40 CNY per person; children under 6 years old (6 years old not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge.
- The entrance pricing to the shuttle bus in the West Garden is 50 CNY per person; the entrance pricing to the whole garden is 100 CNY per person.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The garden is very large. Please explore the garden on foot or on the shuttle bus based upon your own body conditions.
- Please wear the sunscreen scream and sunglasses.
- Please take enough drinking water with you.
- It is suggested to take an umbrella or raincoat with you as it could be rainy and sunny in one day in Xishuangbanna.
Interested in visiting Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden on a Tour?