Last Update: 23rd October 2020
As Xishuangbanna is home to 13 nationalities for hundreds of years, including Han, Dai, Hani, Lahu, Bulang, Jinuo, Yi, Yao, Miao, Hui, Zhuang, Jingpo and Wa people. Therefore, you will find various types of delicious food in Xishuangbanna. The best-known night market there is called Starlight Night Market in Jinghong.
- Chinese Name: Xishuangbanna Yeshi (西双版纳夜市)
- Location: Jinghong
- Things to do there: Photography, Food, Shopping
- Who visits: Photographers, Foodies, Shopping Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Starlight Night Market in Jinghong is situated behind the Shwe Dagon Pagoda. At night, the pagoda is amazing in the golden light. The market lies along the Lancang-Mekong River. Nearby Buddhist pagodas with a variety of Buddha statuses witness the market. Most of the booths are under the colorful oiled paper umbrellas, which may take a feeling to you that you were in Southeast Asia. In addition, you will see beautiful lanterns hung over the head.
Starlight Night Market features local food as well as Southeast Asian cuisine. It offers many types of food names of which you may not know. Some of the ingredients are wild and green. In different seasons, the food of barbecue could be different.In addition, exquisite costumes of ethnic minorities, and creative handicrafts by the young which are made with hand are the highlight there. The fine handmade soups are a good option of presents for friends. You may find key chains with Bulang characteristics. People from Laos, Thailand, Myanmar and Vietnam also run their business at the night market.
The best time to visit Starlight Night Market is from 19:00.
You could visit the market around the year.
As Starlight Night Market is located in the City of Jinghong, you could take a bus to the stop close to the market. Then walk to the night market. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle from the City of Jinghong to the market. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 1 to the Jiangbei Stop and then walk to the market.
- Take Bus Outer Ring 2 or Bus Inner Ring 2 to the Mandoucun Stopr and then walk to the market.
- Opening hours: 19:00 – 23:00
- Please take care of your valuables at the night market.