Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple – a sacred spot for the supreme rulers to worship Buddha in Xishuangbanna before liberation
Last Update: 20th October 2020
With a long history, Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple is very popular among locals. It is ranked the highest of its kind in Xishuangbanna. Before liberation, the supreme rulers in Xishuangbanna always worshipped Buddha at the temple. Many Buddhist disciples from Southeast Asia always attend the dharma assembly there as well.
Xishuangbanna General Buddhiest Temple Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xishuangbanna Zongfosi (西双版纳总佛寺)
- Location: 3,000 x square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Buddhism, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, Buddhist Believers, Architects
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at the Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple
Originally built in 615, Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple features the main hall which is 5 meters high. On the square in front of the hall, the golden statue of Buddha Shakyamuni stands solemnly. It is 2.5 meters tall. The ground floor of the hall features caisson ceiling with golden lotuses. In addition, the statue of a bamboo Buddha is worshiped on the ground floor. On the first ground of the main hall, you will be amazed at the exquisite carvings on doors and windows.
On the right of the main hall is a lotus Buddhist pavilion. The hand rails of the steps to the pavilion are two golden dragons. The arches as well the bell tower and the drum tower are also painted golden. When you explore the temple, you may feel that you are in Thailand.
Best time to visit Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple
If you love photographing, the best time to visit the temple is in the afternoon.
You could visit the Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple throughout the year.
How to get to the Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple
You could take Bus 1 or Bus 4 to the temple from Jinghong City. Or you could just take a taxi directly to the temple from Jinghong City. This is the quickest and most direct option.
Additional Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours.
- Admission fee: free of charge.
- When the dharma assembly is held at the temple, visitors are not permitted to explore the temple.
- It is suggested to take an umbrella with you as it could be rainy and sunny in one day in Xishuangbanna.
- Please wear the sunscreen scream and sunglasses.
Interested in visiting the Xishuangbanna General Buddhist Temple on a Tour?