Xining Nanshan Mountain - the largest modern mountain forest park in Xining
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Located in Chengnan District, Xining, Nanshan Mountain is 2419 meters tall. In the past, it was named Phoenix Mountain. Nowadays, the mountain has been transformed into a park with full tourists facilities. The park was open to the public in 1996.
Xining Nanshan Mountain Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xining Nanshan (西宁南山)
- Height: 1,500 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Nature, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Xining Nanshan Mountain is mainly divided into Forest Walking Area, Colorful Flowing Scenic Area, Jintong Liufeng District, Overlooking Scenic Area, Children’s Play Area, Leisure Fishing Park, Tibetan Customs Park, Puning Friendship Park and dining Area. The park features breathtaking natural beauty ideal for leisure and sightseeing.
In the park, locals take a walk or play cards in the greens. At the Children’s Play Area, children can enjoy themselves. At Colorful Flowing Scenic Area, you can appreciate the natural Jiuzhaigou-and-Huanglonggou-like landscape. At the Tibetan Customs Park, you can enjoy the art of Regong murals, the unique stones from the source of Three Rivers and the precious cultural relics of the Tibetan Buddhism.
At Puning Friendship Park in the south of Nanshan Park, you will see miniature of the famous landscapes from Gradandong Snowy Mountain – the source of Yangtze River to the estuary, including the Tiger Leaping Gorge, the Yangtze River Bridge, Poyang Lake, Longshouyan, and the Oriental Pearl and Jinmao Tower of Pudong. The park fully reflects the friendly cooperation between Xining and Pudong New Area, Shanghai.
The top of the Nanshan Mountain offers a stunning panoramic view of the whole city of Xining.
In addition, you can explore the old buildings close to the park, such as Nanchan Temple originally built in the Northern Song Dynasty (960 – 1127) and Fazhuang Temple originally built in 1943.
If you are planning to visit Xining Nanshan Mountain for photography purposes, the best time to visit it is in the afternoon in October as you will see the stunning sunset at that time.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
There are a few buses passing by the mountain. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the mountain. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 16, 17, 18 and Bus 19 to the Stop of Nanshan Park Crossing (南山公园路口). Then, walk to the mountain.
- Opening hours: 07:30 – 20:00
- Admission fee: free
- If you visit the mountain in winter, you can enjoy skiing if interested.
- If you explore the mountain in summer, you will see the amazing sunflower in blossom there.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sun glasses even in winter.
- Please take body lotion, lip balm, and hand cream as it is always dry in Xining.