Xijiang – the largest Miao Ethnic Minority Village in China
Last Update: 5th October 2020
What is Xijiang?
Located 35 kilometers from Kaili (45 minutes drive), Xijiang offers the largest settlement of Miao Ethnic Minority in China. It is set in the gentle slope of a river valley and surrounded by mountains.
Xijiang Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xijiang Qianhu Miaozhai (西江千户苗寨)
- Area: 50 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture Photography, Miao Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Hikers, Ethnic Minority Culture Learners, Adventure enthusiasts
- Time required: 6 – 7 x hours
What to expect at Xijiang
Visitors to Guizhou are always amazed at ethnic minority villages, such as Zhaoxing Dong Minority Village – the largest settlement for Dong People around the world. In addition, the largest settlement of Miao Ethnic Minority in China – Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village has attracted thousands of visitors every year.
With more than one thousand households, Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village has preserved the complete “original ecology” culture of the Miao people. It is considered to be an open-air museum that exhibits the development history for the Miao people.
A river winds through the village and 7 wind and rain bridges span across the river. Visitors can explore the Miao buildings with column and tie wooden construction and high feet. If you stay overnight at the village, you will be amazed at the night view. At dusk, most of the households are lit up. As it gets darker, the Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village has become a sea of lights, and you can see that the village presents the shape of the head of a cow.
Every morning and afternoon, the villagers do their one-of-a-kind Miao singing and dancing show. Through colorful costumes, cheerful songs and dances, visitors will get more acquainted with Miao culture and customs. Visitors also can admire the rice terraces close to the village.
The Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village also offers a special feast – the Long Table Banquet (长桌宴) with the local cuisine. During the banquet, the Miao men play Lusheng, and the Miao girls sing the toasting songs. Visitors can experience their unique food culture.
Best time to visit Xijiang
Generally speaking, May, June and July are the best time to visit Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village as the period of time is not the peak season with comfortable weather. If you are interested to have a better understanding of Miao culture, you can visit it during the Miao New Year. The villagers spend 3 Miao New Year festivals usually from October to November. The Miao New Year is held on different days every year. For the specific dates, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to get to Xijiang
As more and more tourists visit Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village, the roads to the village are well-developed. Thus, there are a few options. Generally speaking, get to Guiyang at first as it is convenient from Guiyang to the village by bus.
- Fly to Guiyang first from other cities, such as Xi’an, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Chengdu and so on. Take a bus to Kaili Bus Station (凯里客运站). Then, take a bus to the village. The first bus departs at 08:40 am sharp. It takes around one and a half hours to the village.
- Take a train to Guiyang first from other cities, such as Guilin, Wuhan, Hangzhou, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Beijing and so on. Take a bus to Kaili Bus Station. Then, take a bus to the village.
- Take a train to Guiyang first from other cities, such as Guilin, Wuhan, Hangzhou, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Beijing and so on. Rent a vehicle directly to the village
Additional Xijiang Travel Advice
- There are shuttle buses at the village gate. The pricing is 20 CNY per person as at 19th June 2019.
- If you are planning to visit the village in April or May, it is recommended that you take a thin coat with you.
- Guizhou rains a lot. Please remember to take an umbrella with you.
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 16:00.
- As at 5th October 2020, entrance pricing is 100 CNY per person. 2.For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)