Xiangbishan – Guilin’s Famous ‘Elephant’ landmark
What is Xiangbishan?
Xiangbishan Fast Facts
- English Name: Elephant Trunk Hill
- Height: 55 meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Culture, Nature
- Who visits: Photographers, Culture Lovers, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 1 hour
What to expect at Xiangbishan
Xiangbishan Hill looks as if an elephant was drinking water in the river. With an area of 150 square meters, the Water Moon Hole faces the sunrise. In ancient times, many poets and writers left some 50 pieces of carvings on the wall of the cave. The largest one is 257 centimeters tall and 752 centimeters wide.
The Cave of the Elephant’s Eye was originally an ancient underground watercourse. It is older than the Water Moon Hole. The cave runs through the hill from south to north. Both of the two eyes feature amazing views to enjoy.
Originally built in the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644) and standing on the top of the hill, Puxian Pagoda is to worship the Samantabhadra Bodhisattva. Reflecting the Tibetan culture, the pagoda is a Lama-style solid brick structure. With a height of 13.6 meters, the base is a two-layer octagonal structure. On the second layer is carved the bluestone statue of the Samantabhadra Bodhisattva.
Best time to visit Xiangbishan
If you’d like to visit the hill for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at night.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to Xiangbishan
Several buses pass by the hill. Thus, you have several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the hill. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- You could take Bus 23, 2, and Bus 16 to the Stop of Xiangshan Gongyuan (象山公园站) which is just within 2 minutes walk from the hill.
Additional Xiangbishan Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 06:30 – 19:00 (April – October); 07:00 – 18:30 (November – March)
- Opening hours for the light show including the entrance to Xiangbishan Park: 19:00 – 22:30 (April – October); 18:30 – 22:30 (November – March)
- As at 18th January 2023, the entrance pricing to the park is 55 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) is free of charge; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 27.5 CNY per person.
- As at 18th January 2023, the entrance pricing to ight show including the entrance to Xiangbishan Park is 130 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) is free of charge; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 65 CNY per person.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)